584,833 active members*
5,715 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > KM3P Hard Drive Failure

KM3P Hard Drive Failure

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 1984 Hurco KM3P with the Max32 upgrade from a surplus auction. After getting it to my shop and attempting to power it up, I was greeted with no signs of life from the controls other than a blinking cursor on the lower left corner of the left console screen. I also noticed a worrying noise from the hard drive when first powered up, so decided to begin my investigation with that.

After multiple failed attempts at accessing the drive and more concerning noises, I decided to open the case (please see attached photos). Although I do not claim to be a hard drive expert, I have a feeling the contents of this drive are gone forever.

I would like to get this up and running on the Hurco controls if possible. I have seen several threads containing instructions on how to create a new drive that can be used. Unfortunately, I do not have access to the Max32 software files. I asked Hurco if they could provide the software files to me, but they were unable to help.

If anybody knows where/how I could get access to the files and software I need to create a new drive, I'd really appreciate if you could let me know.

Thank you in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PXL_20211104_202015489.jpg   PXL_20211104_202104986.jpg  

Re: KM3P Hard Drive Failure

Quote Originally Posted by enaz993 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 1984 Hurco KM3P with the Max32 upgrade from a surplus auction. After getting it to my shop and attempting to power it up, I was greeted with no signs of life from the controls other than a blinking cursor on the lower left corner of the left console screen. I also noticed a worrying noise from the hard drive when first powered up, so decided to begin my investigation with that.

After multiple failed attempts at accessing the drive and more concerning noises, I decided to open the case (please see attached photos). Although I do not claim to be a hard drive expert, I have a feeling the contents of this drive are gone forever.

I would like to get this up and running on the Hurco controls if possible. I have seen several threads containing instructions on how to create a new drive that can be used. Unfortunately, I do not have access to the Max32 software files. I asked Hurco if they could provide the software files to me, but they were unable to help.

If anybody knows where/how I could get access to the files and software I need to create a new drive, I'd really appreciate if you could let me know.

Thank you in advance.
    I might be able to help. I did a conversion on a KMP3 and the machine was said to be working but I didn't power it up before pulling everything out that was not needed. There are also some diskettes.
    Mike

I really appreciate the offer to help. Do you know if the mill you have was running on the original Max2 hardware or did it have the Max32 upgrade? If it's the latter and you have the diskettes for that, I believe that's what I need to make a new hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by enaz993 View Post
    I really appreciate the offer to help. Do you know if the mill you have was running on the original Max2 hardware or did it have the Max32 upgrade? If it's the latter and you have the diskettes for that, I believe that's what I need to make a new hard drive.
    I will have to go to storage and check it out.