584,874 active members*
5,208 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Chinese VFD and Mach3 usb

Chinese VFD and Mach3 usb

Hi

Hope someone can held me with my limited electrical experience. I’m currently building a CNC router and have most of the parts. Started to build the electrics up and have got the 4 stepper motors working using Mach3 usb BOB. Then I got the 2.2 kw spindle working direct to the VFD. I have set up the twin relays for spindle rotation working. The problem I have is connecting the wires from the BOB to the VFD as the VFD terminals are not named VI, ACM or VR so unsure which terminal connects to the BOB. I have a 24 volt supply to the BOB along with USB feed just didn’t want to damage either the VFD or the BOB by connecting incorrectly.

Thanks

Mark!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 67F8BB4A-5A1E-45EC-97DA-E9489CA3C302.jpg   40F7E891-CF71-4583-B3B6-F8FD7AE3312C.jpg   6C467ABD-99E1-48FB-8DB6-C35E9C35494B.jpg  

Re: Chinese VFD and Mach3 usb

Quote Originally Posted by Spirebuddy View Post
    Hi

Hope someone can held me with my limited electrical experience. I’m currently building a CNC router and have most of the parts. Started to build the electrics up and have got the 4 stepper motors working using Mach3 usb BOB. Then I got the 2.2 kw spindle working direct to the VFD. I have set up the twin relays for spindle rotation working. The problem I have is connecting the wires from the BOB to the VFD as the VFD terminals are not named VI, ACM or VR so unsure which terminal connects to the BOB. I have a 24 volt supply to the BOB along with USB feed just didn’t want to damage either the VFD or the BOB by connecting incorrectly.

Thanks

Mark!
    You should only be using ( 1 ) Relay for your Spindle, the manufactures only recommend the FWD direction, for these spindles.

VI and ACM connection is normally PWM to Analog 0-10 Volts, depending on the VFD Drive your one looks like it may be 0-5v. what is the model # manufacture of the VFD Drive.
    Mactec54

The make is Isacon Power Control model series A2 8022

Thanks for these. I have seen these before but still not sure which pin goes where on the VFD to control the speed. As pointed out above it should have a 10volt out to go to BOB but only shows a 5 or 12 so not sure if I can use these. Directions look straight forward. It my lack of knowledge on the terminology used.

Of coures you'll also need to change the VFD's parameter to look for the correct input.

These files show the breakout supplying the 0-10v speed signal
    http://shoelessdave.com/Vancura.Inno...0wjv%202.2.pdf

On page 13 of the pdf
    https://drufelcnc.com/doc/DrufelCNC_BSMCE04U_manual.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by MarshaJ847 View Post
    Of coures you'll also need to change the VFD's parameter to look for the correct input.

These files show the breakout supplying the 0-10v speed signal
    http://shoelessdave.com/Vancura.Inno...0wjv%202.2.pdf

On page 13 of the pdf
    https://drufelcnc.com/doc/DrufelCNC_BSMCE04U_manual.pdf
    That's the one I was trying to find earlier.
    AV1 = Analoge Voltage 1. (0-10v).
    ACM= Analoge Common.

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    That's the one I was trying to find earlier.
    AV1 = Analoge Voltage 1. (0-10v).
    ACM= Analoge Common.

So which are these on the VFD from the board as ACM and AVI are marked on the board but not on the VFD is it the 10 Volt in and the GND?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spirebuddy View Post
    So which are these on the VFD from the board as ACM and AVI are marked on the board but not on the VFD is it the 10 Volt in and the GND?

Thanks
    Before you connect to the VFD Drive you have to check that the Breakout Boards, 0-10v is working, this voltage needs to change with the RPM, ( so in Mach3 use MDI ) Type in M3 S12000 this should give you 5v at the output which you can test from the Breakout board output AVI / ACM, you have to have this working before you connect to the VFD Drive.

ACM to Ground

VI to 10v in

Parameters needed to be set for the 0-10v speed control

PN03=4
    PN04=2

This does not work on some of these VFD Drives and then you have to use the where it says external Pot 5v, this then can only be a 5v Analog supply
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Before you connect to the VFD Drive you have to check that the Breakout Boards, 0-10v is working, this voltage needs to change with the RPM, ( so in Mach3 use MDI ) Type in M3 S12000 this should give you 5v at the output which you can test from the Breakout board output AVI / ACM, you have to have this working before you connect to the VFD Drive.

ACM to Ground

VI to 10v in

Parameters needed to be set for the 0-10v speed control

PN03=4
    PN04=2

This does not work on some of these VFD Drives and then you have to use the where it says external Pot 5v, this then can only be a 5v Analog supply

Great, thanks for that will try in a few days when back home