584,808 active members*
5,158 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Dumb move requiring smart remedy…

Hi all, ok, so I did something dumb a bit ago that, even dumber, I do not know how to remedy. 770M, PathPilot. I’m in the middle of a program and at the end of a tool cycle, ready to put next (final!) tool in spindle. But for some fool reason, I took the part out of the vise! And quite lost my x-position, doh. So what I need to do is clear enough to me: put the Haimer back in and get the part clamped back in the vise again correctly in x. But I do not know how to properly “halt” the program so that I can put the Haimer back in, etc, and then resume the program to finish with the final tool cycle. How do I go about this properly, please?? Thanks much—-C. Hale, Lafayette CO

Re: Dumb move requiring smart remedy…

—clearly at least one, “serves me right” way to go, would be to just make a new program that has nothing in it but that final operation I screwed up, and be done with it. But this is a really fundamental PP operation thing that, boy, I really need to learn once and for all…again, thanks—

Quote Originally Posted by Chale44 View Post
    —clearly at least one, “serves me right” way to go, would be to just make a new program that has nothing in it but that final operation I screwed up, and be done with it. But this is a really fundamental PP operation thing that, boy, I really need to learn once and for all…again, thanks—
    Yup.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Yup.
    But, but, but,…there must be a <smart> way to deal with this, right? What I note above seems like a pretty bone-headed way to recover…? Thx—

But, but, but,…there must be a <smart> way to deal with this, right? What I note above seems like a pretty bone-headed way to recover…? Thx—

We've all been there a time or two. You did exactly what I would do. :cheers:
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Press the "stop" button to stop the program, refind 0 with the Haimer, then use "find t9999" to find your tool number in the program to restart from the last tool you used. Press cycle start.

Quote Originally Posted by footpetaljones View Post
    Press the "stop" button to stop the program, refind 0 with the Haimer, then use "find t9999" to find your tool number in the program to restart from the last tool you used. Press cycle start.
    Thanks, I’ll explore this carefully, for sure. I’m digging around in my 770M manual but I just don’t quite seem to find this stuff in there. And my “blunt instrument” approach of just making a quick 2nd Post program with just the final/missing cycle in it, doesn’t seem to be getting laughed out of the forum…but what you describe is more along the lines of the procedure I’d hoped to learn, so thx—

guess i never tried this "find t9999"
    How does the program know that is where to start back up again?
    maybe this is a new behavior I never noticed

I would stop program as mentioned above. use probe to find your offset. Then search for that operation using find t? ?= to the tool number of that operation you stopped on. Or just scroll down and locate that place in code.
    Then select the first line in that operation. Then with mouse pointer in code window and the correct line is highlighted, right click to bring up the menu of "run from here" choices. select the right way to start the program and it should prompt you for the that tool or change to it if you have an atc then it will run normally.
    The run from here menu is what i use anyway.
    Just be careful. I use it all the time but 99% of the time, it is only from the start of any given operation. using this option to start running in the middle of code in a operation can be problematic and requires some experience.

I dont know if manual explains the run from here menu or not. would have to look.

Dear sir.
    I have tingging machine but there languege in japanis I want to enlish what can I do

I want to change machine langueg

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    guess i never tried this "find t9999"
    How does the program know that is where to start back up again?
    maybe this is a new behavior I never noticed

I would stop program as mentioned above. use probe to find your offset. Then search for that operation using find t? ?= to the tool number of that operation you stopped on. Or just scroll down and locate that place in code.
    Then select the first line in that operation. Then with mouse pointer in code window and the correct line is highlighted, right click to bring up the menu of "run from here" choices. select the right way to start the program and it should prompt you for the that tool or change to it if you have an atc then it will run normally.
    The run from here menu is what i use anyway.
    Just be careful. I use it all the time but 99% of the time, it is only from the start of any given operation. using this option to start running in the middle of code in a operation can be problematic and requires some experience.

I dont know if manual explains the run from here menu or not. would have to look.
    You're correct, I forgot the "run from here" step. You'll always want to select "no preparation" the other two are hangovers from the bad old days of Mach3.

You're correct, I forgot the "run from here" step. You'll always want to select "no preparation" the other two are hangovers from the bad old days of Mach3.
    Hi all, thanks much for your feedback on this question. I just made myself a doofus-correcting Post file with nothing in it but the final/missing operation and the part will be done, so I'll probably just do that later this PM. But I'm definitely going to explore the "run from here" stuff noted above, as that does sound like the stuff I was hoping to learn. "Just be careful" being a front-and-center comment, heh. Thanks again--
    --the one other time so far (I've had the machine for about a year now, still a considerable newbie) I had somewhat similar issues 'while running a program', (broke a tool in mid-stream, I believe), I tried to do this stuff in PP on-the-fly-without-knowing-enough, and screwed up the part, so yep, 'just be careful' definitely called for here. I should just learn some of this 'in the air' I think ideally, but I tend to be short on patience a lot of the time, a habit to get out of to be sure. --

hy, pls share an image for your part a quick fix : use the haimer, centro, etc so to find the wcs, then use a goto/jump or simply create a program with your last operation

i can't help with specific steps, since i am not into tormach

I tend to be short on patience a lot of the time, a habit to get out of to be sure
    short on patience is easier to understand; onestly, you shouldn't think that only solution is to get read of it; another approach is to speed up things, in such a way, that will suit your tempo

for example, you may not have patience because your mind goes ahead of your hand, thus you know what to do, what buttons to push, but simply hate to push those button ?!

master your machine 1st, midrestarts, take parts away and put them back in randomly, etc; push your self, then see what is the root of lack of patience; mindset changes as you evolve

one thing that drives me is lack of patience / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Hi all, thanks much for your feedback on this question. I just made myself a doofus-correcting Post file with nothing in it but the final/missing operation and the part will be done, so I'll probably just do that later this PM. But I'm definitely going to explore the "run from here" stuff noted above, as that does sound like the stuff I was hoping to learn. "Just be careful" being a front-and-center comment, heh. Thanks again--
    --the one other time so far (I've had the machine for about a year now, still a considerable newbie) I had somewhat similar issues 'while running a program', (broke a tool in mid-stream, I believe), I tried to do this stuff in PP on-the-fly-without-knowing-enough, and screwed up the part, so yep, 'just be careful' definitely called for here. I should just learn some of this 'in the air' I think ideally, but I tend to be short on patience a lot of the time, a habit to get out of to be sure. --
    Your method is fine and by far the safest imho.

Many ways to continue programs or start new ones on same part to get desired results.
    I often run huge programs with thousands of lines of code and if I see a problem in the middle of that I often stop program. Go to cam system run simulation to that point. Stop program. Save results as a model. Then load that model and setup new operations to correct my issue and compile. take that code and go back to machine and restart where I stopped. Running the new code to finish the part or parts. Over time and with experience you run into things like this and figure out ways to get it done.
    Routers often require things like this. Large format cnc machines often have large programs. You can be cutting 100 parts from a sheet and run into a problem at number 70. You dont want to recut the 70 nor not cut the last 30. You want to finish it as you planned.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Your method is fine and by far the safest imho.

Many ways to continue programs or start new ones on same part to get desired results.
    I often run huge programs with thousands of lines of code and if I see a problem in the middle of that I often stop program. Go to cam system run simulation to that point. Stop program. Save results as a model. Then load that model and setup new operations to correct my issue and compile. take that code and go back to machine and restart where I stopped. Running the new code to finish the part or parts. Over time and with experience you run into things like this and figure out ways to get it done.
    Routers often require things like this. Large format cnc machines often have large programs. You can be cutting 100 parts from a sheet and run into a problem at number 70. You dont want to recut the 70 nor not cut the last 30. You want to finish it as you planned.
    Again, thanks for all comments. I'm at 'real work' currently but remembered about Tormach's semi-new "PPHub" app/functionality (which I'd really never used, just had a quick look once when it first came out) and loaded the whole Post program up (i.e., the whole program, not my new program with only the 'final/missing' op left to do). The instructions above sure do appear to work perfectly; i.e., I started the program from the beginning, OP 1, but then hit 'Stop'; input on MDI line, "FIND T5" (the tool I need to actually use, for final/missing OP) and it went right to it in the program; highlighted first line of that T5 OP and R-clicked and chose "no preparation" choice; hit 'start cycle' and it asks me to load T5, and it does it. Super! I still yet may just use my little 'repair' program noted above, but I do believe I'm sufficiently armed and dangerous to try it this way, too, thanks all.

I use the run from here option on most of my programs for the back side chamfer if the part is symmetrical.
    mike sr