585,722 active members*
4,200 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

ESS power supply

Hello all,

I'm probably overthinking this but I want to make sure I power the ESS correctly.
    I have recently come to realize that I have been likely underpowering my ESS for some time. I recently had to replace my ESS due to some really random machine crashes and I saw visible burning/corrosion on one of the components.

The documentation says to use a regulated supply. I'm having a hard time finding a din mountable regulated supply. I don't know a lot about power supplies so maybe I just don't know the correct verbiage to search.

I did find a meanwell supply that has specs for line and load regulation. Does this mean it's regulated? I have attached a crop from the spec sheet.

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Re: ESS power supply

Quote Originally Posted by jet8300 View Post
    Hello all,

I'm probably overthinking this but I want to make sure I power the ESS correctly.
    I have recently come to realize that I have been likely underpowering my ESS for some time. I recently had to replace my ESS due to some really random machine crashes and I saw visible burning/corrosion on one of the components.

The documentation says to use a regulated supply. I'm having a hard time finding a din mountable regulated supply. I don't know a lot about power supplies so maybe I just don't know the correct verbiage to search.

I did find a meanwell supply that has specs for line and load regulation. Does this mean it's regulated? I have attached a crop from the spec sheet.

Thanks

A cellphone power supply works fine, or a din rail mount power supply also works, you can find these on Amazon MEAN WELL MDR-20-5 AC to DC DIN-Rail Power Supply 5V 3 Amp 15W
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    A cellphone power supply works fine, or a din rail mount power supply also works, you can find these on Amazon MEAN WELL MDR-20-5 AC to DC DIN-Rail Power Supply 5V 3 Amp 15W
    So that meanwell supply is "regulated"?

Quote Originally Posted by jet8300 View Post
    So that meanwell supply is "regulated"?

Most are when they come in a package like this, they have all kinds of protection built in, over voltage over current protection Etc.
    Mactec54