584,830 active members*
5,468 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Max spindle speed

I have a captain 2007 L370 with osp-p200l control I recently change the chuck on. Went from a Kitagawa BL210 to a B-210. This B-210 is rated at 4200 RPM and the machine user parameter (allowable chuck rotation speed) is set at 3800. I get (error 5256 input data overflow Input: 1 ... 3800).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211109_174408.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	472326

Re: Max spindle speed

Maximum allowable spindle speed parameter isn't related using chuck.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge."

hy don't spin a large chuck at high revos for long; reason why there is such a high rpm limit, even on bigger series like 4000, is it to deliver torque at normal/common rpm ranges; thus spindle it is designed to perform best at middle ranges, not to be puhed

spindle's acc decreases a lot once you put a chuck on it, yet it is still fast

if i need, for example, to center drill at rpm > 2000, i swtich to live tools

power consumption with reving high is signifiant

for 10" on a2-6/8, i don't go over 2000

is not common to need to reach 4000rpm with a 10"chuck; if you need high rpms, then most likely you need a smaller lathe, or at least use a smaller chuck ( even for your actual 3800, if used frequently and worth it ) / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

I still don't get the initial question.
    The massive chuck makes a big difference on spindle acceleration/ deceleration. And first of all, the jaws are pulled out stronger with rpm increase. centrifugal force compensating chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Algirdas View Post
    I still don't get the initial question.
    The massive chuck makes a big difference on spindle acceleration/ deceleration. And first of all, the jaws are pulled out stronger with rpm increase. centrifugal force compensating chuck
    I would like to move the limit from 3800 to 4200 and I get the error seen in the attached photo when I try. Is there another parameter else where?

Quote Originally Posted by 1320feet View Post
    I would like to move the limit from 3800 to 4200 and I get the error seen in the attached photo when I try. Is there another parameter else where?

It is likely it is fixed there because that is at the maximum rpm of the actual spindle motor iitself. Has nothing to do with just a chuck,

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    It is likely it is fixed there because that is at the maximum rpm of the actual spindle motor iitself. Has nothing to do with just a chuck,
    The machine has a 4500 RPM limit in its specs from Okuma.

hy what spindle nose is there ? a2-6/8 ?

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    hy what spindle nose is there ? a2-6/8 ?
    Why?

I have a captain 2007 L370 with osp-p200l control I recently change the chuck on. Went from a Kitagawa BL210 to a B-210. This B-210 is rated at 4200 RPM and the machine user parameter (allowable chuck rotation speed) is set at 3800. I get (error 5256 input data overflow Input: 1 ... 3800).

Name:	20211109_174408.jpg 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	472326
    There may be another parameter, maybe one that controls gear ranges that has to be altered before trying to adjust User Parameters.

You are good to question / ignore those other irrelevant queries, they have no bearing on your issue.

I will suggest that using a higher max RPM will require higher acceleration/deceleration rates which could affect machine components, a greater chance of fatigue

Why?
    hy i found both 3800 and 4500 for a2/6

documentation release is generally delayed; is possible that what you saw was a typo

I will suggest that using a higher max RPM will require higher acceleration/deceleration rates which could affect machine components, a greater chance of fatigue
    okuma has special functions and parameters related to chuck weight and acc/decc for all axis ( linear or rotary , feed or rapid ) , but not through system variables

depending on region, acces to them may be block by regulations, before shipment / kindly

Coud've been when originally built. Then they may have backed it off later on after replacing too many chucks under warranty but not reprinted specs. Thus setting the peramiter at a fixed point so it can't be put back to spec max.
    Your original chuck was likely rated more than 3800 as well.

Name:	b210 rpm limit.jpg 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	472468

- - - Updated - - -

Name:	okuma RPM tag.jpg 
Size:	179.8 KB 
ID:	472470Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b210 name.jpg 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	472472

hey, most data from metalic label is generic, thus it is not about your machine only

that label is bolted on any machine, as long as machine configuration is on the list

your configuration is 3, as stamped at the bottom; all the rest of configurations may not be compatible with your machine

please observe that, as stated on line 3, your spindle nose is a2-8, while lines 1 & 2 are for a2-6

okuma does not craft chucks and hydraulic cilinders, nor toolholders or live centers; when you buy a machine, such parts are accesories, and are quoted separately; machine is being sent from japan without them, and they may be installed by your regional center ( according to dealers specification ), then machine is shipped to your location

accesories as chuck and cilinder are mostly delivered by kitagawa, so this is why such metalic labels exist, as to show not only parity, but the strong relation between okuma and kitagawa; why would someone otherwise print such metalic templates ? why they don't exist for toolholders ?

even so, lately, not all such parts are from kitagawa:
    ... maybe someone wishes for a custom brand
    ... maybe there are cheaper alternatives; for example, is not hard to craft chucks that are kitagawa's replica / kindly

- - - Updated - - -

Ok. So there is a B-210 there. (original one yes?)
    Ok. My guess is it's chuck number 3 which states 3800 on the plate.
    Ergo Your machine was LOCKED at 3800 by manufacturer for chuck #3.

If you're adamant you want more speed then stick a bigger drive pulley/gear on the motor.

There are both standard bore and big bore spindles for your machine. They have different max speed ratings regardless of the chuck. You can set them lower than max for the spindle but not higher.

Check your bore… you’ll find you have the big bore spindle with the lower max rpm I’m betting.
    Experience is what you get just after you needed it.