584,808 active members*
4,997 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

HELP !! Extron B5AC RS232 drama

Hi hope someone can help. I just aquired an older extron mill has a titan DNC interface on it to send to the machine. No matter what i try i can seem to get it to read the usb when i hit RS232 then Read on the controller Ive looked at the settings in the machines manual for the rs232 Port -com1 data bit -8bits stop bits-2 bits Parity check - none baud-9600 mode- terminal codes -ASCii

Ive tried adjusting these in the hope it might do something. but nothing downloads Im not sure ive got the right post processer yet but have tried a few different ones seen im told its not fanuc based but simlar.

I have tired sending from the machine to the usb but nothing also. last resort i found what i think was the cable for it ( 9pin ) tired that but nothing

Love some help after 20 years of as a manual machinist im a fish outa water with this.

Thanks

Re: HELP !! Extron B5AC RS232 drama

RS232 is usually for PC to Control transfers, not usually used with USB or Floppy drives.

USB drive may have a letter/number sequence to access that media. You need to check that transfer method of "READ" & "PUNCH"

Your program is on USB, on which device is the USB port ?

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    RS232 is usually for PC to Control transfers, not usually used with USB or Floppy drives.

USB drive may have a letter/number sequence to access that media. You need to check that transfer method of "READ" & "PUNCH"

Your program is on USB, on which device is the USB port ?
    I have a titan dnc that the usb plugs into which runs to the rs232. You can scroll tgrew the usb within the dnc ubit and select which program to down load

Quote Originally Posted by jmweng View Post
    I have a titan dnc that the usb plugs into which runs to the rs232. You can scroll tgrew the usb within the dnc ubit and select which program to down load
    Ok, didn't read your post fully
    I came up using RS232 the allows file movement between PC and the control. No use of other media

YouTube shows a machine that needs rebooting to be able to read the stick. Are the files showing up on the Titan ?
    Are your switches in the correct mode for file transfer ? ie program edit
    Did it work at all for you ?
    It might be easier to upload a file to the stick (control may add additional data in file)
    Titan settings should also match the controls settings

Ok, didn't read your post fully
    I came up using RS232 the allows file movement between PC and the control. No use of other media

YouTube shows a machine that needs rebooting to be able to read the stick. Are the files showing up on the Titan ?
    Are your switches in the correct mode for file transfer ? ie program edit
    Did it work at all for you ?
    It might be easier to upload a file to the stick (control may add additional data in file)
    Titan settings should also match the controls settings
    yeah its in edit mode but ive tried them all now. No i havnt been able to send or recieve to or from the Titan unit.

yeh ive gathered that all setting need to be the same somthing wired is going on somwhere it was set at com1 when i got it but plugged in to com2 and settings werent as per controllers book

I'll suggest the obvious, you checked the cables, all wires ok, no breaks etc ?
    The Titan unit does read the stick ? ,you can identify files on your stick prior to sending ?

Is there any way of testing the Titan to a PC, or PC connected to control. This would eliminate USBs.
    But, you probably need the ability to drip feed programs.

I'll suggest the obvious, you checked the cables, all wires ok, no breaks etc ?
    The Titan unit does read the stick ? ,you can identify files on your stick prior to sending ?

Is there any way of testing the Titan to a PC, or PC connected to control. This would eliminate USBs.
    But, you probably need the ability to drip feed programs.
    so had bit of luck today. went and got yet another rs232 to usb cable computer shop said they had had luck with. they set some com settings in my laptop. hooked into Com2 on mill and ran prodnc got it to download into mill and worked out i then had to save it as a file. Ran program so nice relief finally.

Post was sent to me buy PROENG on her its seems good as it runs his extron but did same may need some tweeking so need to get that sorted and then make some chips.

once i get bit more into it ill try to look into why Titan DNC doesnt work but for now i can get it running.

Thanks all for help so far.

Yeah, it's a steep learning curve.
    Just glad that you found a way to transfer files.

You be able to now test by elimination to get the Titan working.

Yeah, it's a steep learning curve.
    Just glad that you found a way to transfer files.

You be able to now test by elimination to get the Titan working.
    yeh thats the plan . hopefully nail down post soon so everything goes smoothly

Cheers

went and got yet another rs232 to usb cable
    The mind boggles.
    The two are fundamentally different: incompatible.
    If however you mean a cable with some sort of transceiver at one end to convert USB to RS232C, that is possible. But why?

Very biased opinion: RS232C is slow, primitive and archaic, and it should be left behind. USB works, but is not really compatible with CNC machines due to the low signal levels on the USB and the high electrical noise levels around a CNC. Yes, you can make it work - most of the time, but not all the time. I tried . . .

More biased opinion: ethernet is fast, immune to noise, and very reliable in an industrial environment. It has its detractors of course: mostly people selling the older interfaces and (very) legacy systems.

Cheers
    Roger

jmweng, what controller is on your Extron? I know with the cable for mine I had to make one, none of the shop-bought cables worked. I also use a Titan DCN on my Extron and I have had no trouble at all with it,