584,802 active members*
4,926 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Hobby Discussion > Looking for ideas for a spindle motor positioner

Looking for ideas for a spindle motor positioner

I have a 6040 table top CNC that I use for engraving and cutting holes in 1/8" thick aluminum rack panels for custom electronic fabrication. I am using g-code ripper with a touch probe to map out the surface so I can get uniform depth engraving.

The touch probe is long enough that I have to slide my spindle motor up in its slide. Then I have to move the spindle motor lower so the cutting tools can reach the surface to be cut.

I'm using a 1500 W ac spindle motor which is 80 mm diameter. It's heavy enough that I have to be prepared to catch it every time I loosen the clamp screws.

It would be nice to have a linear positioner that I could just crank up or down 2" or so.

I'm thinking a manual dovetail positioner would be ideal but an Internet search hasn't turned up something suitable so far.

The mechanism probably needs to be aluminum to avoid adding a lot of weight to the z axis.

Another requirement would be that it doesn't mess up the spindle tramming too much, but I'm not talking super precision. I'm engraving the panels to label connectors and controls plus a name for the unit and usually my logo and company name.

G-code ripper and the touch probe have enabled me to make professional looking panels. I fill the engraved lettering with acrylic paint.

Any ideas for a straightforward way to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated. I'm willing to invest a few hundred dollars in a solution.

Re: Looking for ideas for a spindle motor positioner

Why not just get a shorter probe.
    One day you might not "catch" the motor unit or even damage yourself with a jerky movement while catching.
    Also any concerns of potential tramming loss would cease.
    Would be quicker, easier, safer.

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    One day you might not "catch" the motor unit or even damage yourself with a jerky movement while catching.
    Thank you for your response. That, of course, is what I am worried about. A shorter probe would have to be more accurately made to achieve the same positional accuracy. The probe I have is hobbyist grade. It has a 1/4" shank and a 2.5_<" lever arm. I have taken it apart because it got discombobulated. It is simple, but clever. For about $100 it has a positional accuracy in x, y, and z of 0.001" to 0.002", which is adequate for my application.

I once had a coordinate measuring machine with a Renishaw head that was good to 0.00005". If I could get one of those with a 1/4" shank for a few hundred dollars that would be a simple solution. I think Renishaw probes are more like thousands of dollars. I haven't seen anything in between in accuracy and cost.

I could mount a Renishaw probe, which has about a 1/2" shank, separately off the axis of my spindle or I could even mount my hobbyist probe off axis. That would solve the problem, but not be as convenient.

I am investigating alternatives.

Either way brings added cost and complications.

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    Your reply got me thinking. It looks like there is a shorter probe available on eBay from the Czech Republic that could be a good solution. I am investigating it further. Thanks for getting me thinking about alternative solutions.