548,321 active members*
2,435 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > converting an old beat up grinder into a horizontal mill

converting an old beat up grinder into a horizontal mill

this project has been going on for a few months now when time permits. this all started when my employer decided to get a different small surface grinder since this one has seen better days. by the time i ended up with it some key parts had been taken off the machine so restoring it would have cost to much and to be honest i am not a fan of swinging handles on a grinder. so after looking at it for a bit i decided to work on converting it into a small horizontal mill. i had a lot of spare parts so buying parts was not needed so much. if nothing else the 1,500lbs of machine made for a good base to build from for a small mill.

the cast iron head of the grinder was big enough to fit a BT30 spindle tapper in so that's the plan for the spindle. the original motor was only 1 HP so that is being upgraded to a 3HP 3 phase inverter duty motor running off a VFD and am planning on a power draw bar with an air cylinder. no plans for any ATC just something set up for quick manual tool changes.

if nothing else this should be interesting at the very least it gives me something to tinker with and keeps me out of trouble some pictures of the busted down machine. if the machine was not free i don't think i would do this but since it was nothing ventured nothing gained is basically how i look at it now.

Attachment 472726Attachment 472728Attachment 472730

Re: converting an old beat up grinder into a horizontal mill

this just a progress pictures over the last 3 1/2 months of me working here and there on the weekends. the mechanics of the lower end is pretty much sorted out, the Y axis for a horizontal configuration is probably the most difficult. direct drive of a screw to lift the head is not an option so that part is on going at this point, this was just a rough assembly to get an idea of travel and where things will fall when i get done.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rough assembly.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	472736

thought i had the inside nailed down but once i took my shaft out and test fit the draw bar i soon realized i had to go back in and rework the section that allows the pull stud clamp to open up. i'm not sure what happened there but it's fixed now. it's easier to take a little more off than to put a little more back on with out messing something up

only thing to do with the shaft at this point is to add some drive dogs for the holders. it would be nice if i can avoid cutting into the taper but that would have probably been easier to be part of the shaft. the older machines seemed to have bosses milled into the taper but the newer machines all seem to have a one
    piece construction and the taper is not touched.

knowing me i will just probably cut into the taper since that would be the easiest way for me to add them. i can keep the bosses shallow and still have good engagement with the two drive dogs.

working on the labyrinth seal for the front now but just started working on that part before i ran out of gas for the day

Name:	spindle shaft almost done.jpg 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	472750

Name:	spindle shaft almost done 2.jpg 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	472748

i guess i should have included a picture of the cast iron head the original spindle was in but did not think to include it. since the head was set up for a grinding wheel rather than a cutter spindle i ended up taking about 3.5 inched off the length of the casting. some of the length i will get back and by the time you add a tool holder to the spindle it will probably end up sticking out to about the same place as the original. but the altered casting should make for a more rigid machine. after the holiday i hope i can get the casting bored out and start putting things together so i can see a final result for run out. it looks pretty good so far but it's hard to tell for sure until things start going together. i am hoping for about .0002 or better but time will tell.

Attachment 472840