585,591 active members*
2,633 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Va-40 pull stud question

My new to me VA-40 came with three different pull studs....with the holders that came along with it.

Going to buy all new Maritool , but need to verify correct studs

It seems that a Fitz-rite 40rk-099-45 is the correct one as i have two and the changer works just fine.

But how do i know this is the correct stud?? They do make a 60 deg angle version of the same stud.

Any va-40 users still out there???

Re: Va-40 pull stud question

you can verify your studs here and for what it's worth replace them . CAT-40 Hitachi-Seiki Retention Knobs

I haven't used hitachi mills that are quite that old but I've run vs50 and hs630 - 500's . They used to build good machines

Sorry for the delay in getting back...was not able to log in????

Anyway, did check out that link...looks like a 45 deg angle which does coincide with the working studs i have.

There aren't probably many of these ol girls left out there.....but I'm thinking this one is low hours, very good condition to be 38 years old...LOL

I have a few things to finish up yet, hence the loose wires...and the 4th on the floor....LOL

Not sure why picture rotated???

Nice , I'd say that baby has definitely seen very few hours , especially for it's age . It'll probably still out do a new haas
    For what the studs are worth I'd replace them all with new . They are old and who knows how much use they have . I have seen studs fatigue and break under excessive use . It's a rare thing and shouldn't be much concern but why risk it

Yep, all new studs and holders.........spindle taper is nice...thk goodness

Just waiting for the fanuc book to show up so i can program this thing....lol the only book i dont have..

Soon as i can make it do something I'll order holders and a new hyd line for the 4th.

Line is bulging in one spot so i use m69 to unclamp the rotary for the time being while I work on it.

Little noise in x and y , z is super quiet , so probably have to inspect and repair them. oiler is working.

unit had not run in 3 plus years so we had some hours getting her back online.,
    Last big hurdle will be getting the rotary to rotate.....the only axis not moving yet.

Servo system is fine , drive ok just will not zero, or move with any input given to it
    Thinking a parameter maybe??
    The ol guy I bought it from never used the 4th the 25 years he had it

the 4th may be shut off in the parameters . At one time I probably could have helped with that but it's been far too many years since I've looked at one of those controls . It shouldn't be too hard to track it down

Many Hitachi machines had options for different pull studs with 45 being the most common. If you have the original build sheet it will likely say.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20211207_143906.jpg