585,712 active members*
3,956 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Any FREE Electrical Drawing Software???

Question Any FREE Electrical Drawing Software???

I have been using MS Paint for drawing wiring diagrams and would really like to find a free software to do it.

At work I used Viseo, liked it, but since I retired that is not possible anymore.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Hager

Express PCB has some free PCB and electronic schematic software - real handy when making a PCB.

YOu could use their schematic software to do some of the wiring diagram stuff but, to create a wiring diagram (ala like a Bridgeport schematic) is something that I too would like to find FREE software to create - I too ams semi-retired.

I posted an inquiry like this for essentially the same sort of wiring software some time ago and did not get much if any replies.

Hopefully, someone will find/recommend something.

You two might be looking for something more sofisticated but have look at this.

http://tinycad.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html

Try cadsoft's eagle demo
    http://www.cadsoftusa.com/freeware.htm
    ...He who makes no mistakes makes nothing! ...
    Tom

Howdy,

Saw this link at artsoft website, haven't used any of them but, here's the link:

http://www.freebyte.com/cad/cad.htm#electricalsystems

Later on,
    Jack
    Walking is highly over-rated

Smile

Thank you all.

This is a real wealth of information. Should be able to find one that is simple and easy to use.

I checked out the offerings (I already have ExpressPCB), and generally find them wanting in the following respect: wiring diagrams for machinery.

Pretty much ALL of the programs cited will draw a circuite diagram that uses IC's, diodes, resistors, transformers, lights, etc. However, when you try to craft up a machine wiring diagram wherein you have to connect motors, solenoids, highly integrated PCB's to the ourside world, things get difficult.

How so?

There are hundreds of premade symbols for most any of the typical electronic components. Yet, when/if you need to craft up a machine wiring diagram, you have to spend literally hours making new, custom symbols on a line by line, piecemeal basis.

I was hoping to find a program that would enable me to craft up something similar to a Bridgeport wiring diagram. Although I am not specifically electronically trained, I did have a background in relay wiring based controls and fourn the Bridgeport machine schematics a snap to read/understand. I was hoping to find something that would enable me to do that sort of control circuit(s) for my machinery rewire efforts.

Not to say that the offerings were bad, just not what I was looking for. I do have and use ExpressPCB. It is an easy to use schematic creation program that also is translateable directly to the subject PCB that you're trying to represent. Their "mini-board" service is very helpful and quite affordable - I highly recommend it. The software is FREE and quite powerful for PCB use.

It is, however, a tedious PITA to use when/if you're trying to create a machine control wiring diagram.

Smile

Well said NC Cams.

I'm not looking for a PCB design tool, like you say we mostly deal with componets external of the PCB's. So guess I'll keep looking.

Thanks for the good summary.