585,898 active members*
5,413 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Need some help with offsets using auto tool setter

Need some help with offsets using auto tool setter

My current Haas mini mill does not have a tool setter or probe.

I am manually checking both my tool lengths and my stock off my table height on the machine, and that has always worked well for me.
    I recently purchased a Haas DM-2 that does have a wireless probe and tool setter, so my plan was to stick with my normal measuring whereby everything is measured off the table height.

This is a used machine, so the previous owner had the measuring set up different than what I am use .

Question:
    Am I making a mistake by measuring off the table on the machine that has the tool setter.
    My plan was to change the settings on the tool setter to change the calculations that it goes through after it touches off the tool. ( not sure how to do that yet, but I'm guessing it would involve some changes to the code in the macro? )

I just thought it would make sense to stick with a consistent way of measuring both the tools and the stock to avoid mistakes in my CAM workflow

Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Kent

Re: Need some help with offsets using auto tool setter

Just a quick follow-up...

I forgot to mention that the machine is a 2016, so it does not have the Next Gen control Panel.

Also, in doing some testing it looks like the figure that I need to deduct from my measurement from the probe is -20.8891

So here would be an example of measuring 1/4 flat end mill with my tool setter

The tool setter measures the tool at a length of 3.7373
    3.7373 Minus 20.8891 gives me the 17.1518" which is the measurement from my table to the bottom of the end mill.

For now, I will make that adjustment each time after measuring the tool, but it would sure be nice to have that adjustment calculated automatically.

I tried to find the gcode on the machine that the tool setter calls up, but I can't seem to find where it's located