584,808 active members*
5,158 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Chinese Machines > Trying to connect my PRT-E1500W variable speed drive to a new break out board

Question Trying to connect my PRT-E1500W variable speed drive to a new break out board

I need assistance please with my new breakout board connections to my spindle speed control pcb in the drives control case..

I'm struggling with the three cables (red, black, yellow) from the spindle speed control board to the terminals on the right hand side of the breakout board.

I think the BLACK cable in the 'COM' terminal (of the spindle speed control pcb) needs to go to the GRD terminal of the break out pcb.

I think (but not sure) the YELLOW cable in the 'FWD' terminal (of the spindle speed control pcb) needs to go to the 'PWM' terminal terminal of the break out pcb.

I think (but not sure) the RED cable in the 'AVI' terminal (of the spindle speed control pcb) needs to go to TOP terminal terminal of the break out pcb.

Then solely on the break out pcb I think I need to run a short flying lead from the Second terminal to a GRD.

The middle two terminals on the break out pcb are easy enough to run to the power supply.

Have I worked this out correctly please?

The original break out board was a TX14692. The manual for the new BOB is here - https://warp9td.com/.../BOB_Vendors/...line/ST-V2.pdf
    The spindle speed control pcb is a PRT-E1500W (Does anyone have a link to a suitable manual please?)
    The whole machine is a CNet 6040, but no idea of which version, sorry.

Re: Trying to connect my PRT-E1500W variable speed drive to a new break out board

On the bob.
    Top 2 are for your direction (FWD/REV) Send single FOR cable in & out of rellay to your source.
    Middle 2 are for power INPUT to bob (12-24v) This powers the spindle controls and the bob inputs on the right hand side.
    Bottom 2 are for your PWM (0-10v and GND of speed control) Usually AVI & GND. (double check spindle manual).

If you only need forward forget the relay and lock VFD in one direction. It can be a pain to operate relay correctly between M3 & M4.
    When setting up PWM. Check it isn't putting out full 10v on startup using a volt meter. Active low/high sdetting makes it work opposite (as in 0v on full & 10v on stop) depending on initial settings.

Question Re: Trying to connect my PRT-E1500W variable speed drive to a new break out board

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    On the bob.
    Top 2 are for your direction (FWD/REV) Send single FOR cable in & out of rellay to your source.
    Middle 2 are for power INPUT to bob (12-24v) This powers the spindle controls and the bob inputs on the right hand side.
    Bottom 2 are for your PWM (0-10v and GND of speed control) Usually AVI & GND. (double check spindle manual).

If you only need forward forget the relay and lock VFD in one direction. It can be a pain to operate relay correctly between M3 & M4.
    When setting up PWM. Check it isn't putting out full 10v on startup using a volt meter. Active low/high sdetting makes it work opposite (as in 0v on full & 10v on stop) depending on initial settings.

Hi Dazp,

Thank you for your reply and sorry for my slow feedback (basically due to other family events, hey ho).

Can I check with you, to see if I have interpreted your instructions correctly.

One wire I'm definitely unsure about is the Red and Blue cable run. Should I run with the Red cable between the BOB and VFD unit, or the Blue cable? Or am I way off?

With regards to the limit switches and emergency stop. Are these circuits Normally Open, so when closed the system stops? Or Normally closed, then any break the system then stops?

BTW, what does AVI stand for on the VFD unit? Is it, as I've assumed above, the same purpose as the PWD terminal?

Thanks in advance for your help

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Extremeoffroad View Post
    Forget the PWM (pulse width modulation) this requires an extra pwm to analogue converter module to change the signal to voltage.
    0-10v pin goes into AVI (Analoge Voltage Input).
    GND pin simply goes to vfd GND.
    As for relay I'm not totally certain but because the vfd only has one ground I'd assume that it's ground is shared.
    So, FOR goes into one relay pin and then other relay pin goes out to GND on vfd.

Re: Trying to connect my PRT-E1500W variable speed drive to a new break out board

Quote Originally Posted by Extremeoffroad View Post
    Hi Dazp,

Thank you for your reply and sorry for my slow feedback (basically due to other family events, hey ho).

Can I check with you, to see if I have interpreted your instructions correctly.

One wire I'm definitely unsure about is the Red and Blue cable run. Should I run with the Red cable between the BOB and VFD unit, or the Blue cable? Or am I way off?

With regards to the limit switches and emergency stop. Are these circuits Normally Open, so when closed the system stops? Or Normally closed, then any break the system then stops?

BTW, what does AVI stand for on the VFD unit? Is it, as I've assumed above, the same purpose as the PWD terminal?

Thanks in advance for your help

Steve
    Yes, you are a little confused, the PWM output you have the red wire, should not be used, this would be a bad thing to do, 0-10v is an analog output which the VFD Drive needs for speed control

AVI= analog voltage Input

In your first post you have it wired correctly
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Yes, you are a little confused, the PWM output you have the red wire, should not be used, this would be a bad thing to do, 0-10v is an analog output which the VFD Drive needs for speed control

AVI= analog voltage Input

In your first post you have it wired correctly
    Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    Forget the PWM (pulse width modulation) this requires an extra pwm to analogue converter module to change the signal to voltage.
    0-10v pin goes into AVI (Analoge Voltage Input).
    GND pin simply goes to vfd GND.
    As for relay I'm not totally certain but because the vfd only has one ground I'd assume that it's ground is shared.
    So, FOR goes into one relay pin and then other relay pin goes out to GND on vfd.
    Hi Mactec54 & dazp1976

I had a message back from the supplier of my BOB with an image.

The supplier said...
    There are two 0-10V PWM ports on this board.
    The right port is Analog Output,
    the below port is Digital Output.
    With this new information, will this change how I should wire my BOB to my VFD?

Thanks again guys