584,798 active members*
4,215 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Moldmaking > horn pin (angled pin)

horn pin (angled pin)

are there any weight - diametar - length ratios outhere that can be used as a basic guideline for design, or is this one of those things that we just put in there and hope it works....

What exactly is it for? A little description and it may be a lot easier to try to help you out.
    Live free or die

Well now days my shop designs the tool -AS WE BUILD, so now I got two waterlines that I’m trying to squeeze a horn pin in between. I was just curious if there ware some design standards for the horn pin, on what's the smallest I can got for this slide....

Basically the slide is 55 lbs, 10" height, 2" travel, and a 12 degree horn pin....

I just thought somebody had some kind of rough formula or something.

Sometimes it pisses me off so much that almost everything that's done in this industry is judged by the way it looks to the shop Forman.... I WANT SOME GUIDE LINES DAMN IT!!!!. I want a spread sheet where I can plug some numbers in and get a concrete result on if it's going to work or not.....I want some math.

I guess that's why they call us designers, not engineers....

Spiderman,
    Well there arent any design formulas for things like this. Thats what being a mold designer is all about! Many companies have standards such as maximum angle and minimum diameters when it comes to horn pins. But is still comes down to "does it look good". So at 12° and 2" of travel, that means your horn pin is sticking out almost 9.5". I think I would use a 1" horn pin. Just my opinion!
    Doug Pryor
    David Wolfe Design, Inc.
    Akron, OH
    www.davidwolfedesign.com
    [email protected]

Rectangular horn pin

Since the formula for deflection directly includes the thickness of the material (diameter of the horn pin) cubed, an increase in thickness is gives substantial strength. You could go with for instance a .75 x 1.5 or 2.0 rectangular pin which might work better for you and be stronger. The leading edge and the back edge could be radiused to match a round hole in the slide block if you wish.

Use a rectangular horn pin with radii on the leading edge and the back edge. The radii can be a full radius, the same radius as the round horn pin you might have used. You could go with a 1.00 x 2.5 with a .375 full radius on the front and back for example.

Try a rectangular shaped pin for example .75 x 2.00 with a full .375 radius on the leading and trailing edge of the pin. You might consider 1.00 x 2.5 with a .5 radius also.