585,692 active members*
4,133 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Running a 3 inch mill in a DM-2 that shows should only be using a 2.5 inch - ?

Running a 3 inch mill in a DM-2 that shows should only be using a 2.5 inch - ?

I am in the process of installing a Haas DM-2 and I didn't realize that the widest shell mill they recommend is 2.50"

I had already purchased a 3 inch shell mill.

So to do a quick " safe test " I made a plastic shell mill end out of the tube that the tool holders came in, since it's also 3 inches.

I installed it into the side mount tool holder and slowly moved it around and also did some tool changes, and It doesn't look like it's going to come anywhere near anything to collide with it.

I only plan to run one shell mill, so it won't be sitting next to any other wide tools.

Am I missing something that might bite me down the road?

Thanks,

Kent

Attachment 473106

Attachment 473108

Re: Running a 3 inch mill in a DM-2 that shows should only be using a 2.5 inch - ?

Quote Originally Posted by kentdesautel13 View Post
    I am in the process of installing a Haas DM-2 and I didn't realize that the widest shell mill they recommend is 2.50"

I had already purchased a 3 inch shell mill.

So to do a quick " safe test " I made a plastic shell mill end out of the tube that the tool holders came in, since it's also 3 inches.

I installed it into the side mount tool holder and slowly moved it around and also did some tool changes, and It doesn't look like it's going to come anywhere near anything to collide with it.

I only plan to run one shell mill, so it won't be sitting next to any other wide tools.

Am I missing something that might bite me down the road?

Thanks,

Kent

Attachment 473106

Attachment 473108
    Is the Tool holder the same size as the one you will be using? a 3" face mill won't fit in their standard umbrella type tool changer without machining the tool holder, itself to give it clearance, once
    the mod was done, I have not had any problems, with using a 3" cutter. what is your spindle taper?
    Mactec54

Re: Running a 3 inch mill in a DM-2 that shows should only be using a 2.5 inch - ?

Yes this is the same Tool holder.

It's a Cat40 taper

The DM-2 has a side mount tool holder, not the umbrella style.

Here is the tool holder that is in the photo and that will be used for the 3 inch shell mill.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shell Mill Holder.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	473136

Quote Originally Posted by kentdesautel13 View Post
    Yes this is the same Tool holder.

It's a Cat40 taper

The DM-2 has a side mount tool holder, not the umbrella style.

Here is the tool holder that is in the photo and that will be used for the 3 inch shell mill.
    Yes, the 2.190 diameter is one of the important dimension, the tool holder I had to use for the face mill, was over the 2.5, and I had to machine that diameter to clear in the tool changer, the diameter that clears everything, was machined to 2.250, so it looks like you should not have any problems with tool holder, unless the clearance when fitted in the Arm, to the bottom of the cutter, that is the other dimension that has to have some clearance also, by the drawing you have .630 between the flange and the top of the cutter, so check this in the Arm to make sure it has enough clearance.
    Mactec54