585,589 active members*
3,062 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Makerspace metalworking machines, need ideas of training and milestones

Makerspace metalworking machines, need ideas of training and milestones

this really does not like image attachments, so here is an imgur link

I need to get more data bout what CNC controllers are on them, and hot to get from CAD to finished part

I'd like to set up some sort of achievement list for most of these (ie. for lathes, facing, turning, parting tool)

https://imgur.com/a/bzvMOgn

Re: Makerspace metalworking machines, need ideas of training and milestones

Hi Tater - use "go advanced" below and images are easy. imgur links will time out sometime and won't work Ayer some time. Peter

I can tell you the 3rd pic is an X2 mill. They are made in China and are sold by Harbor Freight, Grizzly, etc and have different color paint but very little difference between brands. It was originally a manual mill and someone added motors to it. What they used for motor control is hard to say. Many people use Gecko drives. You need to open the electronics box and post some pictures of the insides. If you google X2 you will find lots of people added motors and did other improvements and modifications. The plastic gears for the spindle is a weak point and many convert to belt drive. You can buy the parts or find different plans on line, some free.

To get from computer model to parts cutting you typically need to model it (CAD) and then set up tool paths for cutting the parts out (CAM). Fusion 360 is one program that does both and is free for hobby use. It exports gcode files which are the movements the machine makes to cut the parts. Then you need a gcode interpreter to take the gcode and put out motor commands. I use LinuxCNC which is free but Mach3 is a popular choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim27 View Post
    To get from computer model to parts cutting you typically need to model it (CAD) and then set up tool paths for cutting the parts out (CAM). Fusion 360 is one program that does both and is free for hobby use. It exports gcode files which are the movements the machine makes to cut the parts. Then you need a gcode interpreter to take the gcode and put out motor commands. I use LinuxCNC which is free but Mach3 is a popular choice.
    yep, I've been busy on linuxCNC forums since the grizzly and the Sieg both run off of it
    both have issues, but I am getting data daily from the linuxCNC forum

I do 3d printing, and design with fusion, I also have a saintsmart benchtop CNC and the fusion toolpath generator is not....friendly (at least to me)

not sure if I posted the leadwell, but digging around, i found some manuals including possibly maintenance manuals, and this is the only forum that seems to mention the 550d, but nothing of help