584,805 active members*
4,854 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Fourth Axis

Fourth Axis

Have any of you guys tried out the Novakon 4th axis? If so what is your opinion of it?

Are any of you running some other manufacturers 4th axis? Is there one you can recommend?

Thanks

Re: Fourth Axis

I have one but haven't used it a lot. It's very heavy. If it were looking for one these days I'd consider the Tormach, which has tilt capability.

Same boat here. I have one for my Pulsar, but I've only tested it out. To do it again, I'd probably look at either a harmonic drive 4th axis or a fast unit like the Rapidturn. There was another option for something like the Rapidturn, but I can't remember the name...

Quote Originally Posted by burbingus View Post
    Same boat here. I have one for my Pulsar, but I've only tested it out. To do it again, I'd probably look at either a harmonic drive 4th axis or a fast unit like the Rapidturn. There was another option for something like the Rapidturn, but I can't remember the name...
    Was that the InTurn by Steve Simpson? I don't think that he is actively marketing that any more. I have most of the parts for one but never got around to installing or testing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz1JZBmBDnA

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Was that the InTurn by Steve Simpson? I don't think that he is actively marketing that any more. I have most of the parts for one but never got around to installing or testing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz1JZBmBDnA
    That's the one! I remember seeing it a year or two ago and being intrigued. I don't remember seeing any specifications about indexing resolution though.

Thanks for the responses guys. I had a look at the Tormach 4th axis I was surprised at how expensive they are. I now regret that I had a chance to buy a Yuasa 4th axis a while back for $800 and did not. By the time I import a Tormach 4th axis and pay the fees it gets quite expensive. The mill turn seem a bit more than I need. I want to just do indexing and maybe some rotary milling in the future. I do have a small CNC lathe already that will be operational soon. Does the Novakon rotary table lock when it is in position?

Does the Novakon rotary table lock when it is in position?
    Stepper motor so that locks, but as it's a worm gear drive some backlash is possible.