585,585 active members*
3,858 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Fadal 6030 tools stuck

Fadal 6030 tools stuck

WE have 3 Fadal 6030. 2 of them are 1 month old. we are having problems with the tools sticking in the spindle after they are ran. Also when you pull the tool out the taper is all marked up and looks like it sat in the rain for a week. These are brand new machines and brand new tools. Is this a common problem and if not what should i do to fix it.

I would call fadal tech on that one. We have that same issue with a few of the Command tools and with tools that sit in the spindle for a while when the machine isnt powered up.

this happens on all the fadals that i have run. the harder you rough the faster it corrodes. then they stick when changing tools.
    get used to it. i have a steel pipe that i use to strike the lide of the holder when it needs to change tools. also keep a steady supply of scotch-brite for cleaning the holder.
    i always wonderd if a ground cable would help. i was thinking it was electrolisys or something.

What kind of garbage are they selling you? I would call them up and make them fix that. Are you sure that you spindle chiller is not getting the spindle cold and causing it to sweat like a beer can? I would never get used to an issue like that. This type of problem can cause alot of expense.

tools sticking

We have all of our machines grounded individualy with there own ground rod. Also we use scotchbrite alot to keep those clean. I talked to our service tech and they say that the marking on the tools is from some kinda lubricant. I'm not sure though. we are not happy about it and it is not something that you can get use to. Also i understand that fadal make an addon part that applies 120psi of air behind the tool when you take it out to help blow the tool out so you don't have to hit it with a hammer. i am more concered about the actually marking up of the tool and spindle making it look like rust. it makes our brand new tools look like ****.

We used to get this mainly from water in the air lines. I have seen amny fadals run seamlessly without any sticking when the water is purged from the airlines. We also use synthetic mist oil now.

Yeah make sure your spindle chiller is working.This happens to me a lot after running the spindle at 10k for awhile.When you stop and try to take the tool out or do a tool change the holder is stuck in there.I just tap the holder around the v-groove with a piece of metal and it pops right out.

water in lines

That is a good thing to check the water in the lines. i know the air system here has a lot of water in it. Maybe i will get a air dryer to put before all our machines

i have seen these holders change color in 1 day. i have seen clean holders turn black in 3 days. it looks like corrosion but not from water. you will not see this on better machines. i understand some haas's have similar problems.
    i have seen this on all the fadals that i have run. from the 2016 to the 8030. after a couple of years some of your holders will have weird steps right on the taper surface. we replaced them but they still work ok.

It is called fretting

Fretting

The result of continual friction between two steel surfaces, fretting can be seen as tiny copper-colored marks on the taper diameter or other changes to the surface finish of the holder. This friction causes wear. It is most common when using large or long tools near the maximun capacity to the taper series. 1" or 1 1/4" for CAT 40. It is also caused by insufficient pulling force, due to broken spring washers in the retention system.

Retention knobs should be torqued to 20 ft-lbs max. This will prevent overtightening and distortion of the taper at the retention knob end. This type of distortion cause the small end taper to expand and contact the spindle taper before the gage line end or large end is properly seated. The condition will result in chatter and fretting of the toolholder.

I have seen this in every brand 40 taper run hard with large side tool loads.

you have to keep water out of your lines and keep the taper clean and the tools clean,try wiping a thin layer of oil on the taper,will help with the sticking
    water causes corrosion,than the tools dont lock up right causing the fretting and wear,all my machines have one get stuck after heavy roughing once and awhile,but yours seem to be all the time,check your air system for water and check your air pressure,if you dont have enough pressure to realse properly could be a problem,hope it helps

What type of coolant are you using? If you can aim your coolant lines so they are not drenching the taper of you tools during a tool change. Maybe hit your M9 prior to the M6 or G91G28Z0.

Keep your scotch brite handy. I have a conventional lathe on the side. I pop them in and shine them up. But heres the trick, on the lathe, when the tool is coasting to a stop, spray a light coat of Silicone mold release. This should fix your problem.

You will see that problem first occur on the larger/longer tools in the 40 taper, like Glamis said. But they should all start sticking soon after. Clean off the spindle taper and coat as well.....light coat. If you are using the tool for a very long cycle, maybe an M6 in the middle to unseat it. Or Switch to a identical (cooler) tool mid cycle.

Good Luck

Assuming these are new machines under warranty, I would not mess with it at all. Call service and have it looked at. This is NOT the norm!!

Neal

Quote Originally Posted by envisioneng View Post
    We have all of our machines grounded individualy with there own ground rod. Also we use scotchbrite alot to keep those clean. I talked to our service tech and they say that the marking on the tools is from some kinda lubricant. I'm not sure though. we are not happy about it and it is not something that you can get use to. Also i understand that fadal make an addon part that applies 120psi of air behind the tool when you take it out to help blow the tool out so you don't have to hit it with a hammer. i am more concered about the actually marking up of the tool and spindle making it look like rust. it makes our brand new tools look like ****.
    My fadal has that op. It works great, no more tools sticking.

I have two 4020's that do that. When the tech guy was in for the machines yearly maintenance I asked him about the tools sticking and he asked are you doing a lot of heavy hogging? Yes I am. He said this is normal the tool is locking into the spindle it helps rigidity and accuracy under heavy loads.

Low and behold he was right it only happens when I'm machining aggressively

Hope this helps

Making Chips

Quote Originally Posted by makingchips View Post
    I have two 4020's that do that. When the tech guy was in for the machines yearly maintenance I asked him about the tools sticking and he asked are you doing a lot of heavy hogging? Yes I am. He said this is normal the tool is locking into the spindle it helps rigidity and accuracy under heavy loads.

Low and behold he was right it only happens when I'm machining aggressively

Hope this helps

Making Chips
    Sounds like a sales call almost We get this on some tool holders and not on others. Sometimes when we have moisture or a machine hasnt been run in a few days.

Tool sticking

Have had fadal for years sounds normal after long runs
    or heavy roughing use a light white lithium grease
    and usually will not have any problems. Local tool
    salesman will prob tell you one off the top of his head.

If your tools are sticking in the spindle you might want to spray a little Tri-Flow on the spindle taper,
    NOT THE TOOL TAPER. This has worked for years and I know lot's of shops that use it and don't
    have any more tool sticking in the spindle problems.

Do a Google search for tri-flow

Good luck

Chippie

Keeping air dry is critical. Air pressure @ draw bar cylinder should be 100 psi. Check for leaks @ draw bar cylinder. One of our Fadals came through with cracked nipple that bled off enough air to make tool changing a problem after tough cuts. We sometimes use graphite spray as lube.