584,817 active members*
5,140 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Manufacturing Processes > Safety Zone > Downdraft table for carbon fiber dust

Downdraft table for carbon fiber dust

Is there some type of downdraft table or filter for one that is ok for CF?

I’m in a warehouse and would prefer to find a table with suction to vent it to water rather than a filter but I can’t seem to find something like that.

In terms of quantity, it is small. 10-30 holes only a week in carbon plating but also quite a bit more fiberglass so I’d like a table and suction, etc.

Any recommendation and thanks.

Re: Downdraft table for carbon fiber dust

You may need to make one and it isn't too difficult.You are basically in need of a hopper with a series of slats on top to hold the pieces being worked on.Pretty much any portable extractor that would ordinarily be attached to a woodworking machine will do some good.More flow is good and the finer the filter is,the more dust gets retained and you would have to speak to the experts about details of filtration.Just as you would with a water screen.

Hi Ryan - Something like a water backed paint booth would work. You will need to make this yourself. You would have a water curtain at the rear of the machine and cross flow air extraction to the curtain.

But if you are not making much dust then a std filter system is easiest and will work. You could try a cyclone filter from a household cleaner if you are trying to get away from a filter... MDF dust is lighter then CF or GF so a cyclone would remove this quite well I expect as it will remove MDF dust... Peter

I would prefer to buy them or a few machines and link them together rather than build just because of timing but I am trying to avoid filter based systems just because it's not exceedingly clear what filter constitutes safe operation for the carbon dust (HEPA, etc).

On one hand downdraft tables are easily available but most have a single or dual filter inside the cabinet which without proper filter type, then that's not great since the dust will just be circulating back in and since we have external venting for the paint booths, etc I would prefer an externally vented machine but that is so far difficult to find.

Additionally, I like the idea of just having a downdraft with no filter to a dedicated waterfall (for painting) then having the dust get caught then like overspray and have the water disposed and those vent externally by default.

Am I on the right track here? Also, are HEPA filters sufficient for carbon dust? I've been looking but haven't found a clear answer on this.

Attachment 473446
    Attachment 473448

Hi Ryan - all the facilities that I have worked in that cut FG or CF use std dust collectors. One issue with CF dust is that it can get into electronics and play havoc so are you concerned about health issues, electronics or environmental disposal? A good std dust collector and responsible disposal is about all you need. But do the best you can. CF tends to float around a bit before it settles but MDF is worse. Peter

Yeah... Just buy one. CF dust is nasty. It gets in everything and will short out electronics. HEPA should be just fine.