585,758 active members*
4,608 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > VF-12 accuracy and repeatedability over 150"

VF-12 accuracy and repeatedability over 150"

So my question is this since no one else but Haas is making these 150in. linear guide X travel machines, what is the accuracy from the datum from one end to a drilled hole for instance at the end of that hundred and fifty inch travel? Can I hold true position tolerance without fear? Is repeatability going to be an issue? My own research puts accuracy .0001-.001. Not a good enough answer regardless of the load variables etc. So is there a good answer or do I go get a quote on a gantry or bridge mill? TIA

Re: VF-12 accuracy and repeatedability over 150"

Something that long, may need to consider adding Laser or Linear mag scale & encoder positioning. if I recall, there are notes and info out there sompleace on a Haas option. (I think I've seen it?). I know a few folks who run the linear scales (5um) in the proper encoder-output for various mills. Not haas, but it's done out there. someone may know more here if it's a Haas option? HFO should.

Quote Originally Posted by Luigi101 View Post
    So my question is this since no one else but Haas is making these 150in. linear guide X travel machines, what is the accuracy from the datum from one end to a drilled hole for instance at the end of that hundred and fifty inch travel? Can I hold true position tolerance without fear? Is repeatability going to be an issue? My own research puts accuracy .0001-.001. Not a good enough answer regardless of the load variables etc. So is there a good answer or do I go get a quote on a gantry or bridge mill? TIA

Re: VF-12 accuracy and repeatedability over 150"

Quote Originally Posted by Luigi101 View Post
    You would have to have a C3 Ballscrew or better to get close to that number over that length, the machine could do it if you have the right parts in place, they are using 20 Bit Encoders so that part is good just the mechanical needs to be up to it.

See if that is an option that they could fit a C2 Best C3 second Ballscrew, standard will be C5 and that will not get you where you want to be, no standard machine unless it is using .0001 linear scales is going to do any better, Gantry or a Bridge mill would not be able to give you .0001 over 150"
    Mactec54