584,802 active members*
5,071 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > CNC - Speed control doesnt work

CNC - Speed control doesnt work

Hey fellow engineers,

So I build my first CNC and besides some minor issues everything worked great so far.
    The only thing left to do is to get the Spindle running via the Mach3 software, it already took me 2 weeks of troubleshooting and a lot brain cells I probably wont get back.
    I connected it like this guy right here with a PWM module - didn't work.
    In the meantime i connected it in every way i could find online but i dont remeber them,
    Right now i connected it like this https://buildyourcnc.com/FAQ/14137 - still doesnt work.

P00.01 is set to 1 (Start / stop command source - From external end control Electric machinery,operation panel STOP key effective)
    P07.08 is set to 3 (Frequency source selection 1 - Motor speed control by external terminal)
    Mach 3 USB Controller : (https://www.buildyourcnc.com/item/el...ach3-USB-Board)
    VFD : YL620 2,2kw
    I also attached my Mach 3 Settings and a picture of my first router for anyone thats interested.

I hope someone on here could help me, I'm really struggling right now to get my CNC finished.

Re: CNC - Speed control doesnt work

Nobody ?

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel_CNC View Post
    Nobody ?
    There is not many that could help with this, these Breakout Boards are hit and miss, along with a VFD Drive that is not that great also, and you have a lot of different things to get right.

PWM in Mach3 will want to be 100

Disconnect from the Breakout Board

Are you using a Relay for the On / Off control?

First get the PWM to analog 0-10v working at the Board

To test this in MDI Mode M3S12000 this should give you around 5v at the AVI and AC
    Mactec54

Do you have 12-24v supply attached to the board?.

May help a little?:
    https://drufelcnc.com/doc/DrufelCNC_BSMCE04U_manual.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    There is not many that could help with this, these Breakout Boards are hit and miss, along with a VFD Drive that is not that great also, and you have a lot of different things to get right.

To test this in MDI Mode M3S12000 this should give you around 5v at the AVI and AC

Hey, thanks for the answer, yeah i read that alot after i bought this board.
    No i dont use a relay.
    I will try this tomorrow when im at my workshop and keep you guys updated !

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    Do you have 12-24v supply attached to the board?.

May help a little?:
    https://drufelcnc.com/doc/DrufelCNC_BSMCE04U_manual.pdf
    Yeah i got a 24V that also poweres my sensors + estop.
    I actually tried wiring it this way jumping the fwd and rws connections on the VFD but i dont know if it didnt work because of my Mach3 setting, the VFD setting or the wiring.

Thank you !

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post

Hey, so today i checked my on my wiring and i changed it a little, i think it works like this.
    I got the 5V that you mentioned while measuring, also the frequence on the VFD display changes when i change the rpm in the software, its not a steady number at lower - medium rpm but at max. rpm the frequence displays steady 400 hz.
    But the spindle still wont start, so maybe the start pins are still wrong or, what i think is the problem, my mach3 ports and pins are set wrong.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B6AE7BF4-CABB-40B2-896B-FE0E19D0CE07.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel_CNC View Post
    Hey, so today i checked my on my wiring and i changed it a little, i think it works like this.
    I got the 5V that you mentioned while measuring, also the frequence on the VFD display changes when i change the rpm in the software, its not a steady number at lower - medium rpm but at max. rpm the frequence displays steady 400 hz.
    But the spindle still wont start, so maybe the start pins are still wrong or, what i think is the problem, my mach3 ports and pins are set wrong.
    You need to use a relay between the FWD and COM this should have no voltage on this connection it is just a switch connected to FWD and COM

Do a test with a jumper between FWD and Com if it does not start, when you make a speed command, M3S6000, then you have some Parameters to change in the VFD Drive P00.01=1 is one of them that needs to be set.
    Mactec54

Many interesting things are in your articles and videos. I will apply it to my tiny fishing

Is there a 12-24 volt power supply connected to the board? happy wheels

Hi! any updates to this?

I can confirm that it is necessary to have a relay that links FWD to the XGND pin on the VFD. I got my spindle to spin and be controllable like that. The only issue now is that the max voltage I get out of the board is ~7.6V instead of the 10V that should be coming out... Has anybody run into this issue? I have setup the spindle pulleys etc. like generally described. This 7.6V results in a max frequency of ~3000Hz on the VDF instead of the maximum 4000Hz.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Thanks in advance!

Hello, I read somebody saying that the resistors on the board have the wrong value (those used to create the 0-10V).
    My board gives 10V when Spindle stopped and 0V when Spindle at full speed... it is supposed to be the opposite...
    I run LinuxCNC but the settings are pretty the same as Mach3...
    Any idea?
    When your Spindle is a 0 rpm, is the output at 0V or 10V ?
    Thanks