584,829 active members*
4,690 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Lathes > SL-10 6” 3 jaw chuck question

SL-10 6” 3 jaw chuck question

I recently picked up my first Haas Lathe a SL-10. It came with a Royal 3J A2-5 collet chuck only. I would like to get setup for a 6” 3 jaw Kitagawa b206 type that ships from the factory. I was curious if anyone could tell me what I need to make this B206 A2-5 chuck work? I am assuming I can’t just slap any A2-5 B206 chuck on there? I need some kind of draw bar adapter? I was looking through the parts diagram and not coming up with much so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: SL-10 6” 3 jaw chuck question

From what I understand so far. Correct me if I’m wrong please…. As long as I have a chuck that has a A2-5 mount and a draw tube nut that matches my 55mm X 2.0mm draw tube threads, I should be able to get it to work.

hy turbo, you got it right there is also these :
    ... if spindle mount <> chuck, then you can use an intermediate adapter plate : thus for both bigger or smaller chucks
    ... drawtube having the correct threads may not be enough, sometimes also it's length matters; in such a case, are these variants :
    ...... a) is possible to shorten it to suit the new chuck, so it may no longer suit the old chuck
    ...... b) if it has to be longer, you can't strech it, so it may be needed to modify the nut of the chuck

please consider, that is possible to modify that nut also for case "a)", so this allows to keep same drawtube for actual and previous chuck

from this perspective, some chuck vendors do sell chucks with blank nuts, that you simply modify to suit whatever you have

it helps to have the corect dimensions for your spindle, and compare them to the product dimension before buying; at least you will have a clue how well will things fit / kindly

ps : that girl from the avatar : will she make it ?
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

SL-10 6” 3 jaw chuck question

Deadly kitten,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I ordered a LMC PC-6-46-01. The seller and mfg both report it comes with a 55mm x 2.0 draw tube nut. The LMC catalog states that PN chuck is sold for an ST-10. I guess we will see how it works out lol. I threw a best test on the spindle taper and quickly measured .00002”- .00004” cold. Can’t really complain about that. I’m also on the hunt for some kind of 5C chuck setup for this SL-10. Oh and that avatar image was from a safety sticker on a Grizzly lathe ha ha.

Would anyone know what size screws Haas normally used to mount the original 6" LMC 3 jaw to the SL-10 A2-5 spindle? My SL-10 A2-5 spindle was using 7/16-14 X 1.25" screws to mount the original Royal 3J collet chuck. From my research the best I can determine I should use qty 6 12.9 grade 7/16-14 X 3.75" SHCS to mount this 6" 3 jaw chuck. I did find a LMC manual that called out 7/16 x 3.75" for the A2-5 chuck mount. That's a unusual screw length but McMaster has them. I was curious if Haas used a 3.75" long screw or if they used a 4.00" screw?