584,837 active members*
5,606 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC "do-it-yourself" > 4 Axis Controller Wiring Question

4 Axis Controller Wiring Question

Total noob here with decent electrical knowledge however I would like some feedback on the direction to go with my controller wiring.

I'm using DMM's DYN4 750w AC servo motors/drives and DMM has two wiring diagram configurations which illustrate two ways of wiring the drives/motors;
    1) using individual circut breakers/contactors and 2) the other using a single circut breaker/contactor and then distributing power via a relay terminal. Please see diagrams attached.

I'm trying to be conservative with the $$ but not at the cost of safegaurding the system. Is there a clear advantage of individual circut breakers/contactors
    over a single circut breaker/contactor? In the single circut breaker/contactor I need to use compents with amperage that is much higher than individuals, for example (4 axis x 20amps = 80amp circut breaker)
    which will not pop in the event one axis is eperiencing an electrical problem. Is my logic correct here?

Any input will be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

Kind Regards,
    Lickercabnit

Re: 4 Axis Controller Wiring Question

My personal preference is to have a main breaker and an individual breaker for each drive. This allows you to turn off drives for troubleshooting and setup. The breakers are there to protect the wires, if the drive fails, the breaker is not fast enough to protect it from damage. On the other hand I have only had one DMM drive fail, and that was due to a lightning strike nearby that took out some other electronics also.

Here is my lathe panel, the power to the distribution block comes from the 100 amp machine main breaker

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Hi Jim!

Thank you SOOOO much for this! I've been looking for an example for weeks now. You've got the power distribution block I was eyeing up too! Again THANK YOU!

My pleasure. I'll be happy to try to answer any other questions as you progress with your project.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

If you don't mind are those 1a terminal fuse blocks I see for the drives? If so can you tell me where you got them? Automation Direct is only showing 6.3a holders. Also what are those 4 devices next to the circut breakers?

Those are Automation Direct https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...blocks/dn-f6mn, the fuses are standard AGC1 glass fuses.

The 4 relays next to the breakers are for the control power and E-stop circuits. They really don't have anything to do with the drives, it was just a convenient place to put them. This panel is just a sub-panel in the main control cabinet.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1974.jpg   IMG_1974.jpg  
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Nice set up man! Did you ressurect an old machine? I've been a CNC Programmer for 44 years now. What type of lathe did you redo this controller on?

I'm designing a 4' x 8' x 12" CNC router with 4 axis capabilities. I'm making a removable center section for the 4th axis so I can do 4 axis simultaneous posts/gun stocks or w/e.
    When the Aderson rep quoted me $16k+ just for the entrance way door (arched with side lights) I said mIm (midlle finger emoji) I'm gonna build a CNC for less than that and make it with custom engraving.

I've already slabbed enough red oak lumber (8/4 & 12/4 thick) for 2 garage doors and my entrance way door. Here's a few slabs I'll process in the spring after they are dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    My personal preference is to have a main breaker and an individual breaker for each drive. This allows you to turn off drives for troubleshooting and setup.
    Separate breakers might indeed be handy for troubleshooting (although how often will you really need them?)

Separate contactors, in my opinion, just make more potential failure points. Each moving contact (a contactor, a relay, a switch, a button...) is a problem waiting to happen. Trust me, I repair woodworking machines for a living. :wave:

It's a good point. Every part added is a point of possible failure.

A 1987 Hardinge Conquest 42. Originally had Fanuc OT controls, live tooling, 10 station turret. I bought this in 2017. Up until a couple months ago, it was still running the 7.5kW original spindle motor, but replaced that with a 7.5kW SureServo2 from Automation Direct because I needed full C axis capability. A great old machine, very repeatable, but I wish I had a Y axis and a sub-spindle. I wrote my own CNC system software to run it.

Nice project. I'll be interested in seeing your progress. That's a lot of really expensive oak there, I'll bet it's going to look great on your house.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    Separate breakers might indeed be handy for troubleshooting (although how often will you really need them?)

Separate contactors, in my opinion, just make more potential failure points. Each moving contact (a contactor, a relay, a switch, a button...) is a problem waiting to happen. Trust me, I repair woodworking machines for a living. :wave:
    In this case separate contactors are required. The Dyn4 drives require a 30 amp contactor on 3 phase, or a 50 amp contactor on single phase. Also you don't want to turn all of them on at the same time, the inrush current would be insane. I sequence mine on with a 1 second delay between them. Keeps the inrush current at an acceptable level.

I do agree that individual breakers are maybe not required, but nice to have.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Amen brother that is an oldie but goodie. We actually have one at our shop where i currently work. LOL and you code! Man you got it all going on pal! Yea I can't wait to retire so I can play around all day "D So sick of doing for other people...
    It's nice having a little side gig to make some extra cash and doing stuff like I'm doing. I'm hopefull to do it for some suplemental income when the time comes to retire Lord I make it that far (fingers x emoji)

We'll definitely keep you posted on the project process and thanks again for all your help! I'm ordering all my compnents today in hopes that they make if by weeks end next week so I can begin prelim bench testing during the holiday week off. Merry Christmas to you and yours friend!