585,683 active members*
4,842 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Camaster > Camaster stinger 1 off 20 mil in x axis, can't get support from mfg

Camaster stinger 1 off 20 mil in x axis, can't get support from mfg

I've adjusted the resolution, it appears spot on. When routing out 4" test squares, squares close to x0 will be nearly spot on in size, but squares close to xmax exceed the dimension by 20 mil. What can cause this?

I've removed the rack for the rack and pinion and its curved about 1/8". The holes for the rack are also following this curve in the gantry. I don't think this is the issue but it might be part of it?

Quote Originally Posted by KT88saturate View Post
    I've adjusted the resolution, it appears spot on. When routing out 4" test squares, squares close to x0 will be nearly spot on in size, but squares close to xmax exceed the dimension by 20 mil. What can cause this?

I've removed the rack for the rack and pinion and its curved about 1/8". The holes for the rack are also following this curve in the gantry. I don't think this is the issue but it might be part of it?
    This machine has had multiple issues with motors failing and bearings going out. I wonder if it's related somehow? It's only 9 months old.

Re: Camaster stinger 1 off 20 mil in x axis, can't get support from mfg

MFG came out and replaced the gantry. Somehow it was warped.

Thank god I didn't buy an imported machine.

Re: Camaster stinger 1 off 20 mil in x axis, can't get support from mfg

I had a Stinger X3 and had the exact same problem. One side of the table cut dead-nuts and the other made parts too wide by about 0.020". Resolution measured by a ruler was spot on and repeatable. Chased rabbits with CAMaster for a year before I stomped my feet and made them fly a technician out, he spent two days scratching his head. Then right before he left for the airport, he put a straight-edge on top of the guide rail. It rocked back and forth like a see-saw with about 0.015" daylight underneath. To their credit, they sent a new gantry and flew another technician cross-country out to install it.

The problem is that the Haas they use to mill the gantry beam isn't wide enough to run it in one setup. They run half, then shift it over and index. If this isn't done perfectly the rail datum won't be straight.