584,830 active members*
5,831 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Is this possible? Rack and Pinion Quick Release

Is this possible? Rack and Pinion Quick Release

Hello,

I'm currently working on a my first cnc design for wood working and thought it would be nice to have the option to use the machine manually as well as by computer control (moving the spindle by hand)

Could anyone tell me if this is a good/bad idea? Would it potentially ruin the x axis alignment each time i released the rails from the pinion connection? Or require recalibrating of anti backlash.

Thank you

Re: Is this possible? Rack and Pinion Quick Release

I think you'll find that many control OS's will have an MDI tab (manual data input). This allows for quickly writing simple G code moves at the machine and will impart the inherent accuracy of the cnc to your parts, no CAM software needed. It'll also strengthen your understanding of what the various G code commands actually do. No need to construct a mechanical device to disengage the rack and pinions.

Anything is possible if you are clever enough.

But I think you will find that it is easier to grab a hand router to do hand work, and use the CNC for CNC work. You can use a MPG to manually move the CNC router.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...c+mpg&_sacat=0
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Thanks for your thoughts.

I think I will actually go with the controller option and see how it works out. I'm only processing small quantities of material for now so a bit of extra time isnt too big a deal right now.

I think OP was looking at something like a handwheel or setup pushing the router by hand on axis? I thought of that too when I built mine overcoming the stepper unpowered. 6 years or so down the track I have used my machine via jogging perhaps 4 times.

First build keep it simple. Focus on the design being robust without disconnects or "new" CNC options. There will be enough challenges especially if you are not electrically biased. I still remember the first "barrrrpp!" as my spindle ground it's way through the top of my vice on it's 3rd or 4th run.... ha

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by boydage View Post
    I think OP was looking at something like a handwheel or setup pushing the router by hand on axis? I thought of that too when I built mine overcoming the stepper unpowered. 6 years or so down the track I have used my machine via jogging perhaps 4 times.

First build keep it simple. Focus on the design being robust without disconnects or "new" CNC options. There will be enough challenges especially if you are not electrically biased. I still remember the first "barrrrpp!" as my spindle ground it's way through the top of my vice on it's 3rd or 4th run.... ha

That's right. I'm thinking of something like the lee hyun machine, you can see on YouTube. I'm most likely getting ahead of myself though, perhaps I'll be fine without. Keeping things simple to start with makes sense.

Lee Hyun. I just took a look. Agree in all my years with timber there are countless times I would have used an overhead router type.

In all reality CNC is quite different. Especially for multiple parts it is great. I fine it's almost like having another worker. Very handy and I even automated a tennoner.

Hi Thunza - The Leehyun machine is manual. Very well designed, I love the table. Will think about that for my next machine. The Leehyun machine has a digital readout for accurate setting of the cuts but no motors or drive systems. Peter