585,715 active members*
4,563 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > CNC Machining Centers > Convert DXF to PGM for SCM Pratix S 2013

Hybrid View

Convert DXF to PGM for SCM Pratix S 2013

Hi guys
    I just bought a second hand CNC, SCM Pratix S 2013
    The technician who set up the machine keeps telling me that my if I want to do "draw something" and have the CNC cut it, the software would have to export an PGM file. However, I can't find any software to output pgm file.
    I'm currently using Mozaik to output cutlist and nesting but can't seem to find a way to export out pgm file. For drawing I use shapr3d and revit3d but neither can output pgm.
    I basically have a cnc sitting there that I essentially cannot use.
    Could someone please guide me through how to go from a dxf file to a pgm file for the cnc.
    I live in Sydney and would appreciate any help.
    Thanks guys.
    Wayne

Re: Convert DXF to PGM for SCM Pratix S 2013

hy pls share some of your dxf files; i will try to convert them / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Thank you for the kind offer. I'm currently still learning the software side of thing. I'm just looking to understand the process, what application I would need so I can prepare them.
    From what the technician told me with what I read, the process seems to be: draw using CAD software, output dxf file -> use "software" to generate toolpath (and output .xxl file?) -> use WinXISO or xilog plus to convert them to pgm then cut.
    I'm stuck at unsure which software I need to use to generate toolpath for dxf file and output xxl file. Or if there's a software that can do both? Im only looking to do simple straight lines for now.
    If someone know please tell me what software I do need to get this running.

hy waynele, whatever the softwares used, machine requires pgm

if you can output dxf, i may help you convert them to pgm, by creating a custom application for you

in the end, you will get your pgm file, but after that will be needed to understand how the machine takes that file as an input, calibrations, etc

if possible, talk with that technician of yours, so to give you a pgm (or more simple files : a line, a square, a circle, and so on), thus run trial cuts, so to see that machine works as expected, and not to hit into it's limits, and stuff is scaled properly

another approach, is to simply create a dxf with a line, convert it to pgm, then run trials on that machine, on your own

in other words, you may :
    ... leave file conversion to me : i can send you a few simple dxf-pgm samples
    ... leave machine trial to technicial : give those files to your technican, see what is missing, etc

in the end, when all is chained up, you will have experience from both sides, and i will give you what is needed / kindly

if you wish, i prepare a few files, with geometry given from you, or i simply do something, then you test them

me again you can try:
    ... online dxf-pgm converter
    ...... or
    ... install on your pc a print to bmp, so to plot bmps from your dxf viewer, then convert those bmp's to pgm's; this 2nd approach may seem longer, but it may give you more consistency, because, if needed, you will be able to control the bmp area

things to check, when loading the pgm into the cnc :
    ... if line width setting from dxf matters ( for example, it's possible that only minimal width will work, while any width >1px will confuse the cnc )
    ... if dxf wcs position matters ( for example, you may have a circle center in origin, and another file with same circle but with center<>origin; the cnc may not care about such differencies, but only locating the circle area regardles of it's position on the bmp )
    ... if bmp area maters ( thus you may have same pixel size rectangle on a smaller / larger bmp area; it's possible that bmp area should be always constant, so to fit the travel length and ratio of your cnc )

another method, is to find allready proofed/working pgm files for your machine, then try to recreate those from scracth, analyze and solve the differences

if you need help, please ask whatever you wish; i can automatize all those steps, like for example making the conversions to occur in background : you simply generate your dxf, then the pgm will pop-up / kindly

Thank you so much for the information. I managed to use Enroute to export xxl file which I then use winxiso to convert to pgm then to iso for the cnc.
    The only problem is the bz value is way too high and I can't find a way to change ut in Enroute. Moreover, after I manually changed it and have the CNC run it, it does cut correctly but it's like stupidly slow and I'm clueless on how to fix it.
    The technician changed something manually and then it runs at normally speed.
    I'll get the files and post the codes for you to have a look tomorrow when I get to the workshop.