584,826 active members*
5,057 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Tool measure

Page 1 of 2 12

Tool measure

Question:
    Does the "Measure Tool lenght" on handwheel and same button in software window share same script? Why script when changin tool acts diferent?
    F.e.: I have adjust in "offset/tool measure" speed=100, safe height=200, fast height=90 / works perfect when tool change nedeed
    but, when pressing "Measure Tool Lenght" it just skip "fast height" and goes slow from safe heigh to fixed sensor.... is that shoud be or is a bug?

Re: Tool measure

The tool change Script includes a section for Tool lentgh measurement.

The measure Tool lentgh Button trigger a separaten Script that only included Code for tool lentgh measurement.

If you change the Routine for tool length measurement in M6 you need to make the corresponding changed in the stand alone Script as Well.

Thank you for an answer, I have change the "script" throu adjustement menue where all data for M6 are set. Don't know where to find this second stand alone Script, can you please input me correctly?

I'm cutrently traveling and have no access to a System with an Installation of planet cnc.
    Just Check which Script the gui Button is triggering and have a Look at the config file for the handwheel (should be located somewhere in the examples if you did not configure it yourself) to Check which Script the handwheel is using.

Thank you ScorpionTDL, again!
    I couldnt find coresponding script (probably luck of my knowledge).
    Have safe trip and Happy New year!

I finally had the chance to check the location of the scripts.
    You need to distinguish between tool change and tool length measurement.

Tool change is triggered by M6.
    This script can be found via the settings
    Program Options/Scripts/M-Code/M6
    This handles the tool change and starting from line 203 is performs the tool length measurement. Line 215 executes the fast measurement and if configured line 218 does the slow speed measurement.

The Tool length measurement is located at
    Program Options/Scripts/Tool Offset/Toll Offset Measure Length.
    This calls o122 which calls p110 in line 34 which does the G38.2 with high speed in line 66 and with slow speed in line 69. This should be essentially the same end result with a slightly different execution path.

This works correctly on my machine. Both look the same in terms of machine movements, despite the difference in the code.

Thank you for explaination, my M6 script look ok (because works as shoud) but in other script I have much less lines...ends with 54?
    Pls take a look in file:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Are you using a current version of PlanetCNC?
    All the Measurements scripts got a complete rework somewhere in May 2021 (if I remember correctly)
    Your Script seems to be from a previous version. You are either running a older version of TNG or you have a old script version located in your Scripts directory.

In the current version (2021.12.08) o122 performs
    G53 G00 Z#<_tooloff_rapidheight>
    in line 32 before calling o110 for the measurement.

Your script does (Line 30+):
    G53 G00 Z#<_tooloff_safeheight>
    G53 G00 X[#<_tooloff_sensorX> - #<sox>] Y[#<_tooloff_sensorY> - #<soy>]

M11P0 G38.2 Z-100000 F#<_tooloff_speed>

There is not G0 to rapidheight.
    Either add the
    G53 G00 Z#<_tooloff_rapidheight>
    before the G38 or simply update to the current version of the script (install latest TNG version + delete any unmodified script + check all modified script for compatibility etc......)

I attached a zip file with the current scripts for reference.

Yes, on this pc (symulation-preparing) I have last wersion, on working pc have one lower, not last. This script is from last wersion 2021.12.08.
    I don't have anny "o" files in that folder...
    Can you provide me whole script for that folder?

Have just reinstall last version TNG, no change to the script.......

If you have ans Scripts in the Scripts folder those will not ebe automatically Updates. You need to delete the file in the Script folder for tng to use the build in original.

If you never saved the o files from the settings menue you Do not have those in the Scripts folder.just open den Script from the settings menue if you want to have a Look at them.

have checked the "o" script in TNG setting/script and they look same as yours.
    The "Machine.Tool_Offset.Measure_Length.gcode" is way longer than that which you prowide. My have 54 lines, your is yust 8...
    When cleared the script folder and reinstal TNG, no changes in settings/script files....same as before, with 54 lines...

Have just copy your file in script folder and looks it works!
    Thank you again ScorpionTDL for help!

Good that is works now.
    However simply deleting the script from the scripts folder should work as well.
    And would be the better approach as you would get any update to the script in future versions automatically.
    Files located in the scripts folder will not receive any automatic updates. You need to take care of them yourself.

Problems with tool change/measure again...
    It works ok until last week, trying to use longer tool (6x100mm) for some prototyping but in some ( unknown) reason doesnt work as before.
    Starts ok, mowe to fix sensor, measure tool, go up, go to start point then masage apears: "Machine limits owerseased" no switch trigered.
    I was trying diferent Z height limits with no result. Noticed that object moves higer on Z axex after measured, it looks that Z-0 is not set correctly ( not in machine memory).
    Before that Z-0 was not obligatory if using same tool ( mounted) from few days ago and Z-0 was same heigh....
    Any sugestion wat am I doing wrong?
    Att: my settings

Looks like nobody has similar problem, trying a few days to found out where lies problem:
    work offset Z0 is not set correctly, don't know why because in prewious wersions works as shoud.
    Att. is prnscr AFTER "measure currrent tool" than set Z0 with movable sensor and screen stays way off (Z0) !!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails error Z-0 position.jpg  

another ( probably silly) question:
    If I chose tool from: machine/tools/pick/ (nr. of tool) f.e. 3
    will this be same Z position as be used before? F.e. a week before was working with tool nr.3 which stays in spindle, today want to continue with same job, same tool, but when starting TNG is aways set to "0".
    Just don't want to brake a tool.....

I belief it depends a bit on your settings.
    If you write the tool length into the tool table AND have it set to load the offset from the tool table during a change you should be good.
    Its quiet easy to test, just select the tool and have a look at your Work Z Position, it should change significantly if no offset was loaded beforehand.

If you do not write the length into the tool table I don't think its possible to recover it after a restart of TNG. The Information is simply nowhere available anymore.

FYI if you have it in your tool table you can load the offset anytime with G43 H<toolnumer>
    G43 H3
    would load the offset from the tooltable from tool 3

yes, tool is wrien to tool table, and yes, the calling tool from machine/tool/select the tool nr3 works perfect!
    Thankyou !

Problems with tool measurement again,
    problem ocours when I want to make some machining using 3 diferent tools. First and second tool work ok, but 3 tool Z offset come way wrong and plunge in to table botom trigering machine error.
    Strange is that I made 2 diferent files with same tool set ( 3), same changing order, same nr..
    Another strange thing was, rising 3 tool of the table, sent to "measure this tool" and continue, work was done.....??? On both files?

Today was making test file (3 tools). First tool measurement/change went ok, second change plunge in to table again(!!)
    Tool was the same for test purposes, no fyzical change, so reading of Z axes or writing in to the tool table went wrong!

How can determine what is the problem?

Page 1 of 2 12