584,849 active members*
4,329 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

dropbox not refreshing

Sometimes, not always but frequently, dropbox doesn't refresh on the mill.
    when I change a program in the house and save it to dropbox, either as the same name or a new name, then go out to the shop and check for it on the mill it's not changed or not there.
    I can change directories and look in other places and load other programs off dropbox but the new stuff isn't there. Go check in the house and it's there, check on a different computer and it's there, but the mill doesn't "see" it

I'll end up going back to the house, saving to a usb and sneaker-netting it out to the shop
    Then, if it's the same program name, I'll change the program on the machine and start cutting and a while later it finally "sees" the change in dropbox and lets me know the program has changed on the disk and should it reload.....

Doesn't seem to be a network issue, I can see it's connected and everything and it seems to have a cache of the "old" programs on dropbox

Is there any way to force a refresh of the dropbox connection on the mill?

Thanks
    M

Re: dropbox not refreshing

Quote Originally Posted by Mooser View Post
    Sometimes, not always but frequently, dropbox doesn't refresh on the mill.
    I'll end up going back to the house, saving to a usb and sneaker-netting it out to the shop
    Then, if it's the same program name, I'll change the program on the machine and start cutting and a while later it finally "sees" the change in dropbox and lets me know the program has changed on the disk and should it reload.....

Doesn't seem to be a network issue, I can see it's connected and everything and it seems to have a cache of the "old" programs on dropbox

Is there any way to force a refresh of the dropbox connection on the mill?

Thanks
    M
    Can't help much with Dropbox, except that it's not instant-refresh as you noticed, but if they are both online on the same network, you could save from the house to the file share on the Tormach at the shop and skip sneakernetting. That works well for me.

Thanks
    I'm talking about a 1/2 hour or even 1 hour delay sometimes, not sure why, other times it's there by the time I walk out to the shop.

I've never managed to get the tormach to actually be on the network as far as shared drives or being able to see it form the rest of the network. I believe I played with in a bit at first, got frustrated with linux and gave up. Same with my lathe running linuxCNC. Both can connect to the internet but I can't seem to be able to share stuff across my home network the same was as I can with my windows systems.
    Might need to re-visit it again as it's a pain to get out and see it didn't work and have to go back with a usb stick
    Thanks again
    M

You should have no problem networking your cnc machines. I never understood why anyone would need drop box unless your sharing with a remote location
    not clear what your problem is.
    this is what my workstation cad cam system has down the side of one of the screens
    i have the manuals and the network links handy and ready to use.
    Attachment 474196

Thanks
    I'm talking about a 1/2 hour or even 1 hour delay sometimes, not sure why, other times it's there by the time I walk out to the shop.

I've never managed to get the tormach to actually be on the network as far as shared drives or being able to see it form the rest of the network. I believe I played with in a bit at first, got frustrated with linux and gave up. Same with my lathe running linuxCNC. Both can connect to the internet but I can't seem to be able to share stuff across my home network the same was as I can with my windows systems.
    Might need to re-visit it again as it's a pain to get out and see it didn't work and have to go back with a usb stick
    Thanks again
    M
    I had to do quite a bit of screwing around to get Windows talking to the Tormachs file share, but a lot of that is because I put them on their own subnet and needed firewall rules between them, which is not a common configuration. I did find it easier to get them to connect via IP address (which I fixed for the machines), so the share is something like \\192.168.1.1\gcode then map a drive letter to that because---

if you use Fusion 360 it will do some amazingly bizarre things if you try to post to a network drive that is not connected. It creates fake drives with file paths that look real, but are actually buried deep in its own files on the main system, then you wonder where your files went when you go to the shop. I map windows drive letters to the shares and make sure I'm looking at the right thing before posting. Most of the time I'll open the drive shortcuts separately from Fusion in advance to be sure they are connected.

After setting up a network share and doing everything I think I see what might be causing the issue.
    The machine keeps dropping off the network and then trying to reconnect but sometimes just drops and sit there without trying to reconnect. I go over into the tab and the network light is off. Reconnect it everything is good, go back and it's disconnected again. Signal strength is like 90-100%, the extender is on the other side of the wall pretty much 8" away.
    Now to see if it's the usb dongle (on a 6' extension) or the extender
    Grrrrr
    M

After setting up a network share and doing everything I think I see what might be causing the issue.
    The machine keeps dropping off the network and then trying to reconnect but sometimes just drops and sit there without trying to reconnect. I go over into the tab and the network light is off. Reconnect it everything is good, go back and it's disconnected again. Signal strength is like 90-100%, the extender is on the other side of the wall pretty much 8" away.
    Now to see if it's the usb dongle (on a 6' extension) or the extender
    Grrrrr
    M
    I'd start testing by deleting the USB extension cord, or switching it to a powered hub. Unpowered USB extensions can cause all sorts of wierdness.

The controller is down inside the cabinet base so there's zero signal down there. I thing I've got a powered usb hub here somewhere. might have to steal the wireless / network hub off of the basement computer to test as well.
    They built a subdivision behind us and it's amazing how many wireless networks now show up even though they are weak, I wonder if that somehow affects this as well
    Thanks
    M