584,837 active members*
5,022 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > PathPilot 2.8.3 on Torus

PathPilot 2.8.3 on Torus

Today I got PathPilot ver 2.8.3 going on my Torus. Not exactly sure what has changed since 2.0.2, but its been 2 years so I thought it would be good to get current. My plan is to get Pathpilot running across all of my CNC machines.

Scott...
    Instructional Videos for CNC Guitar Building
    http://www.rmgvideos.com

Re: PathPilot 2.8.3 on Torus

Looks like things are a little slow in this forum. I went a different route than you did. I went with a Centroid acorn. I'm curious though how much fiddling did you have to do to get the code to work? Did you have to go and edit the PLC?

SAGREEN
    I am still using an older (sub 2.0) on my Pro but when trying to install the 2.0 I could not get the tool table to work. It would zero out after cycling the controller so after a week of frustration, went back to the old software. I guess my question for you, is there any advantages to switching to the latest edition??? I only use my Pro on occasion so not critical but I do like to stay current.
    Thanks for your posts. I'm afraid that the Novakon forum is slowly becoming obsolete. Oh for the good ole days on this forum.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
    Looks like things are a little slow in this forum. I went a different route than you did. I went with a Centroid acorn. I'm curious though how much fiddling did you have to do to get the code to work? Did you have to go and edit the PLC?

The conversion wasn't terribly difficult. I started by copying the INI and HAL files from the Tormach 1100 over to torus specific files then ran Pathpilot manually cleaning up errors as I saw them. Then I moved over all of the axis specific config and everything seems to be working great.

Scott...

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    SAGREEN
    I am still using an older (sub 2.0) on my Pro but when trying to install the 2.0 I could not get the tool table to work. It would zero out after cycling the controller so after a week of frustration, went back to the old software. I guess my question for you, is there any advantages to switching to the latest edition??? I only use my Pro on occasion so not critical but I do like to stay current.
    Thanks for your posts. I'm afraid that the Novakon forum is slowly becoming obsolete. Oh for the good ole days on this forum.
    Bill
    There are a lot of changes that have been noted in all of the change notes since the version I was using before. That said, when I booted it up the only thing im seeing is a bit of refresh on the UI. I'd be glad to post the files if you want to give it another shot.

Scott...

I have had zero issues from my initial install of the 1.9 version, hence no incentive to spend time and effort on any upgrade. Probably will sell my NM200 in a couple of months. Buyer needs time to make room in his shop.

Quote Originally Posted by sagreen View Post
    There are a lot of changes that have been noted in all of the change notes since the version I was using before. That said, when I booted it up the only thing im seeing is a bit of refresh on the UI. I'd be glad to post the files if you want to give it another shot.

Scott...
    Any chance they fixed the bug where if you were in the tool table, and changed a tool, that it doesn't show the line with the tool on it? Instead it shows the tool after it? That alone would make me consider upgrading. I've also considered doing an upgrade to Probe basic, but at the end of the day it's working as-is. If you would like to volunteer your files, I might just image a second drive and try it that way.

sagreen;
    I would appreciate the files if convenient. Sure I'd give it another shot just to stay current. Have a great day.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Quote Originally Posted by WTFover View Post
    Any chance they fixed the bug where if you were in the tool table, and changed a tool, that it doesn't show the line with the tool on it? Instead it shows the tool after it? That alone would make me consider upgrading. I've also considered doing an upgrade to Probe basic, but at the end of the day it's working as-is. If you would like to volunteer your files, I might just image a second drive and try it that way.
    Not sure if that bug has been fixed, I've not cut anything yet. I'll be working on another mill today, and will post the files for those that want to give it a go.

Scott...

Any chance you have an option called prefetch or preload something like that. I used to have this issue and was told that it has something to do with automatic tool changers. In my case I can turn it off but I mostly ignore it now. My machine reads things like T6 H9. I am not using path pilot but you may have something similar.

Trying to create a post with the files included, and I dont see a way on this new version of CNCZone to attach a file. Anyone else have that prob?

You can attach files by clicking the paperclip icon. You may have to add a .txt extension to the file name.

I've attached a zip file containing all of the files that were required to get Pathpilot v2.8.3 going on my Torus pro (with servos).

After a successful 2.8.3 install, you will need to copy the files as follows...

Copy Into ~/tmc/configs/tormach_mill
    novakon_mill_base.ini
    novakon_mill_mesa.hal
    novakon_specific.ini
    novakon_torus.ini
    postgui_novakon_mill

Copy into ~/tmc/mesa
    Torus.bit

Copy into ~
    pathpilot.json

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steve303 View Post
    You can attach files by clicking the paperclip icon. You may have to add a .txt extension to the file name.
    Figured it out... You have to click "go advanced" from the post quick reply to get the additional toolbars.

I now have a grizzly mill conversion running on PathPilot using a PMDX126 bob and Mesa 7i92 ethernet board. The 7i92 is the mesa alternative to the smooth stepper.

Works great! Now on to my mach3 lathe!

Scott...

Quote Originally Posted by WTFover View Post
    WTFOver I can confirm this bug is fixed. It stops on the exact line for the proper tool change.

Scott...