585,712 active members*
4,170 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Center Drill Drill Depth

Center Drill Drill Depth

Does anyone know of a chart or formula to help me find drill depth for KEO combined drills and countersinks to give me a finish countersunk hole in my programming? Or do you use spotting drill instead? Thanks Jack

Quote Originally Posted by bowersjack View Post
    Does anyone know of a chart or formula to help me find drill depth for KEO combined drills and countersinks to give me a finish countersunk hole in my programming? Or do you use spotting drill instead? Thanks Jack
    They call them 'combined drills and countersinks' but they have a 60 degree taper on the 'countersink' part which is not correct for a flat head countersunk screw. Right now I can't remember exactly, but the angle for a countersink is 87 or 89 degrees so even a spotting drill at 90 degrees is not exactly correct. I have been told it is possible to get spotting drills with the correct angle but have never seen them; for non-critical work the 90 dgrees is often okay. Using a spotting drill also gives the advantage that you can spot for the hole location to stop the drill wandering on entry, and go deep enough to leave the countersink at this step; saves a bit of time on multiple holes.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    They call them 'combined drills and countersinks' but they have a 60 degree taper on the 'countersink' part which is not correct for a flat head countersunk screw. Right now I can't remember exactly, but the angle for a countersink is 87 or 89 degrees so even a spotting drill at 90 degrees is not exactly correct.
    The SAE standard is 82 degrees. Aircraft standard (thin panels) is 100 degree, although you don't come across these very often. Metric flatheads are 90 degrees. I have lots of 82 degree countersinks, but only a few 90 degree for the occasional metric job.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by mixdenny View Post
    The SAE standard is 82 degrees.....Dennis
    Thanks, I try reciting that to myself a few times .
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

may be this will help. this is a table i created when i first started in the trade before the days of excel
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If you can ENVISION it I can make it

Formula for Center Drill Countersink Diameters

Go to ï¼·ï½…ï½‚ï½ï½ï½“ï½ƒï½ˆï½‰ï ½Žï½‰ï½“ï½” - Internetagentur Bayern: Webdesign & SEO Passau
    they have the formula there.

Included angles of 60, 82 & 90 degrees are commonly available.

These angles are also available from multiple suppliers so I don't think it is odd or special order. The common size may be 60 degree but that is mostly due to use as a center drill.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    They call them 'combined drills and countersinks' but they have a 60 degree taper on the 'countersink' part which is not correct for a flat head countersunk screw. Right now I can't remember exactly, but the angle for a countersink is 87 or 89 degrees so even a spotting drill at 90 degrees is not exactly correct. I have been told it is possible to get spotting drills with the correct angle but have never seen them; for non-critical work the 90 dgrees is often okay. Using a spotting drill also gives the advantage that you can spot for the hole location to stop the drill wandering on entry, and go deep enough to leave the countersink at this step; saves a bit of time on multiple holes.

this is from txcncman...don't know how well it works.

CENTER DRILL CHART

TXCNCMAN thanks this works well - I Used to have a printed chart that had a formula for standard center drills - it had coffee stains all over it. I lost it and now I can't believe it is so hard to find another one.

Updated Files

I took some time to review the posted excel file and found the numbers were not the same as what I use when programming. So I have added some additional information. Let me know if I'm on the right track or not.

www.WebMachinist.Net
    The Ultimate Online Source for Machinist Related Stuff!

A No. 5 Center Drill will make a MAX 0.4375 Diameter Chamfer. The example on this page [URL="http://www.webmachinist.net/centerdrilldimensions.html"] may NOT work

Re: Center Drill Drill Depth

I know this is an old post but awesome share guys. Very useful excel sheet!

I was looking to see of anyone had the math to calculate center drill depth, every I looked I got a different answer. I drew a #4 center drill on MasterCam and found a solid solution. If you have a Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus, below is the code that calculates the depth needed for a given diameter. This code does account for the pilot tip, which no one else seems to do...weird. Calculate the depth, touch the tip to your material surface, set Z, go.

Disp "DESIRED DIA.":Input A
    Disp "PILOT DIA.":Input B
    Disp "CENTER DRILL DEPTH IS..."
    (A/2)-(B/2)?C
    C/tan(30?D
    (B/2)/tan(59?E
    D+E+B

stet