584,826 active members*
5,141 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EnRoute > Arc Radius Equals Zero

Arc Radius Equals Zero

I am having a little trouble with some of the G-code Enroute is producing. I'm using Enroute6 but the same thing happens with other versions (3,4,5). My problem is that it keeps trying to make arcs that have zero radius. The problem occurs when ever an offset tool path is generated on an inside corner of an object that has the same radius as the tool. This happens a lot for me because our art designers draw their shapes with the inside corners radiused to match the milling tool so their drawings look like the part that will actually be milled.

Here is an example from a 1/4" tool milling file:
    G2 X8.224 Y2.636 I3.435 J3.743
    G2 X8.224 Y2.637 I0.0 J0.0
    G3 X8.243 Y2.639 I-0.001 J0.133

For the most part I usually can simply delete the offending lines, but I shouldn't have to. Is there a configuration setting that would fix this, or is it a problem that needs changed in the machine driver, (It is one I modified my self) or is it a deeper seeded problem in Enroute itself?

Re: Arc Radius Equals Zero

hy, if you can't solve that, i can create a simple program that will fix your code

it will be runing in background, you won't have to do anything
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Re: Arc Radius Equals Zero

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Zuercher View Post
    I am having a little trouble with some of the G-code Enroute is producing. I'm using Enroute6 but the same thing happens with other versions (3,4,5). My problem is that it keeps trying to make arcs that have zero radius. The problem occurs when ever an offset tool path is generated on an inside corner of an object that has the same radius as the tool. This happens a lot for me because our art designers draw their shapes with the inside corners radiused to match the milling tool so their drawings look like the part that will actually be milled.

Here is an example from a 1/4" tool milling file:
    G2 X8.224 Y2.636 I3.435 J3.743
    G2 X8.224 Y2.637 I0.0 J0.0
    G3 X8.243 Y2.639 I-0.001 J0.133

For the most part I usually can simply delete the offending lines, but I shouldn't have to. Is there a configuration setting that would fix this, or is it a problem that needs changed in the machine driver, (It is one I modified my self) or is it a deeper seeded problem in Enroute itself?
    Zero is often a problem for mathematics. It's probably a bug in Enroute routines. Have you tried offsetting the path a tiny amount. say .0001 inside or outside. this might be all you need to do to fix the problem. The amount is so small it will not be noticed. You can also define the tool you are using as slightly less than nominal diameter. Which it probably is anyway for clearance. For instance a 1/4 inch end mill will often be .249 or .248 in reality.