584,879 active members*
5,066 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Contour Ramp Cut in wood - solutions/alternatives

Question Contour Ramp Cut in wood - solutions/alternatives

Hi,

Looking to improve my profile cuts in wood. I'm cutting these parts (1cm thick poplar stock) using a continuous contour ramp cut using a 1/8" downcut bit. As you can see the part is narrower at the top of stock.

Since this picture I've tried just moving the bit up in the collet as much as possible and this has helped somewhat. Guessing that leaving some stock for finish and doing a finish pass would help (have not tested that yet), but would also add more cut time and I cut hundreds of these.

Anyone else experienced this and have some advice on what worked for them while still trying to keep cut times down?

thx
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ContourRampCut.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	476158

Re: Contour Ramp Cut in wood - solutions/alternatives

If it's solid wood you're cutting, why use a downcut tool? And is it really necessary to use such a skinny one? Unless there was a compelling reason why not to, a 1/4" upcut would probably go faster, with less deflection.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Yes, 1/8 is what i need to use and downcut because it causes less tear out and better finish.

I'm guessing tool deflection.I seldom cut solid wood and may lack relevant experience but I would be cautious about cutting depth greater than 1.5 X tool diameter. Which would lead me to try cutting the depth in two passes with a ramp on each. Obviousy ,this will take a bit longer,as would a finishing pass.Do you climb cut?If so try a conventional cut and see if things improve.

will just have to give it a go and see what works best, just thought I would ask around first and see if anyone had solutions that worked for them.

Depth of cut on the continuous contour ramp cut I always go at the tool diameter or under.
    I did try both climb and conventional cut, climb cutting resulted in very rough finish.

Most likely leaving a slight amount of stock to finish and doing a finish pass at full depth of cut might result in some improvement.

Loose machine and/or bit deflection from cutting too deep and/or too fast. If your CAM has any bidirectional cut options you'll see sidewall steps from the alternating deflection. Climb cutting roughness implies a loose machine, but there shouldn't be a noticeable difference when cutting a bit width profiled slot. Down-cut bits are a lousy choice for slotting. Ramped or not, chips are trapped for up to 180 degrees of rotation. Quality two flute straight bits can leave as good a surface as a down-cut.