585,779 active members*
4,013 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Would like to get thought on CNC machine design

Threaded View

Would like to get thought on CNC machine design

Hi everyone. I am new to your forum but have been working on a design for the past few nights to build my first CNC wood cutting/router table. For a bit of background, been 3D printing for a few years, just got a laser engraver and thought it would be awesome to have a bigger router table for more advanced projects. Below is a link to the fusion 360 Link to spin it around and look at it. It is NOT complete. I just got an X-Axis design I like and am starting on Y-axis and Z. Here are some specs on the machine I am trying to build. I plan to finish the design over the next few weeks then start purchasing components. I plan to cut sheet goods first, then dabble in aluminum. This will be used for hobby use but didn't want to make it too weak if I eventually want to turn it into a small business. I'm trying to keep it relatively cheap, like total build under 3K.

Specifications:
    Cut area: 48" X x 48" Y x 6-8" Z travel.
    Steppers: Nema 23 (I looked at going Nema 34 but couldn't stomach the price upgrade, save for future)
    20MM ball screw 10MM pitch (cheap 2010 from amazon/china)
    20MM linear rails (also amazon/china)

Link to a model you can rotate and look at. The axis is moveable in fusion360, can't figure out how to make that work in the shareable link.

https://myhub.autodesk360.com/ue2bd6...e63155e96fb5ab

Plan to have a similar Y-axis to the X-axis design that I will put a linear rail on top and bottom of the ball screw.
    Z axis is a little TBD for linear motion, probably a short Y axis design.

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks for the great forum, I have found lots of good info on here.

Jeremy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Early Photo.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files