584,854 active members*
4,254 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > E STOP POWER INVERTED ON MOTION CONTROL BOARD VMX24
Page 1 of 3 123

Question E STOP POWER INVERTED ON MOTION CONTROL BOARD VMX24

I got the error on my VMX24. My machine has Allen Bradley TLS-GD2 door interlocks. This is a first on this error and I believe it is related to the door locks. I say this only because I think the locks are the only e-stop that is tied to the motion control board. Any one have any ideas or knows how to trouble shoot this error. I have been operating the machine for years by simple disconnecting the lock clasp and keeping it plugged into the door switch. That way the machine thinks the doors are always closed. Can it be rewired to bypass the locks?

Re: E STOP POWER INVERTED ON MOTION CONTROL BOARD VMX24

You are probably missing the 24v/0v connections to the I/O interface PCB at the J3 plug.

Thank you for the reply. I am going to work on it today and will let you know. Can I just wire the individual color coded wires together and remove the locks. I don't use them anyway.

Ultimax?
    If so, press the folliwing:
    Auxiliary
    Enter
    Enter
    F2 for integrator oarameters
    F2 for N:95 parameters
    Jump to parameter number 230
    Change it to 0 from 1
    Exit and save.

However, I don’t think your problem isn’t caused by that. If I remember correctly, you should have 0v on pins 1, 4 & 6 and 24v on pins 2 & 5 of the J3 plug.
    Also, check the 16 way ribbon cable that connects to the front face of the I/O interface PCB and the MX4 card.

Broken wire maybe?.

Could be a failure on the 24v from your power supply. Grab a meter and check it is still present.

If you had a broken 24v supply wire to the switch, it will show as a low 24v at the power supply if it is shorted to the shield in the cable.

I did some digging today. I have no power at 24r14 which feeds the door locks. Also there is no power at any of the terminals on that strip. That strip bank consists of several input output lines separated by a red rectangle device with a red indicator light. Not sure what these are or where the power comes from. There are 14 of these in a row. Also if I hit the e stop on the console and on the jog control it tells me on screen that they have been activated. However when I hit the estop on the spindle cabinet it does nothing. No indication that it has been pushed. The terminal going to the doors is 24 volts. Where does that voltage get stepped down?

Where is the 24 volt power supply?

If you pop the front cover off your card rack, you’ll find a little board next to where the orange plugs are on the outside. There should be five little test points on there. The one on its own is 0v put your black meter lead on this. The others are -12v, 5v, 12v and 24v in that order. Check the one furthest from the 0v one to find 24v.

That's it I would assume. All the sockets check correct except for the 24 volt one. No power. So the next question is does that small board convert the voltage or is it something else and can I get just that board?

The board isn’t the problem. You have a sort outside the rack. If you pull off the orange connectors and power it up, the 24v will likely reappear. Finding the short will be a tad trickier. Can you take a pic of your cabinet?

Yes with the orange connector my 24 volts cones back. Here is the cabinet. The problem is with the largest orange connector. The one on the top closest to the door. When I plug that connector in the 24 volts goes away. All the other connectors are fine. They can be plugged in and I still have the 24 volts. Any idea where to look? The only wires going to that connector other than jumpers ate black and white #3 and #8. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1385.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	474444

Right.
    Bottom middle, you have a row of orange relays. Just to the right of them is TB1. The orange connectors are 24v switched, the blue are 24v. Up in the middle of the cabinet you have the three BLK boards with the I/O wiring. Just to the right of them are the second set of TB1 connectors. Orange and blue are the same as above.. you need just the blue terminals. Ignore the blue and grey TB2 terminals to the bottom right of the cabinet - they are 115v AC.
    Power up and one by one remove each wire, see if the 24v comes back. If it doesn’t, put it back and move to the next wire. Sooner or later, you’ll remove a wire and the 24v will return. Chase through that wire and you’ll find your short.

How do I get the wires from the block? Do I need a special tool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1386.jpg  

Little flat screwdriver in the hole next to where the wire goes in. Gentle push and the wire comes out.

I am in the process of removing wires. Do I do both the blue and the orange blocks or just the orange?

How does the e stop work on the spindle door? It has four wires the 1,2 wires on the red button and 3,4 wires on the green button.

Just the blue terminals. The thickest wire into the blue terminals is the supply from 24v and will likely cause the 24v to come back when it’s removed. That isn’t the one you’re looking for. Go for all the thinner wires in the blue terminals.

The e-stop on the door goes back o TB3 I think. Just to the left of the orange relays.

Page 1 of 3 123