584,861 active members*
4,766 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > E STOP POWER INVERTED ON MOTION CONTROL BOARD VMX24
Page 2 of 3 123

Re: E STOP POWER INVERTED ON MOTION CONTROL BOARD VMX24

An update. I found one wire on the 24volt input side. When it gets removed 24 volts comes back and it fires the large contactor above and to the right and the red emergency light flashes. The red relay blinks signifying the light. It was getting late so my next step is to trace that wire. What do you think? I can't thank you enough for all the help you have provided.

I think you’re close to sorting this out. Chase the wire through and you should find the source of your short.

okay I no longer have a short. The wire in question was the 24 volt going to the upper drawbar limit switch. Now the machine will not boot up. It will not initialize the navigation subsystem. I did notice that the cycle start button is very dimly lit. I did test the drawbar limit switch and it is working. I just applied 24 volts to it and cycled the switch. I did notice that the switch when open had 1 volt to it. Is that normal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1387.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	474516

So I purposely shorted the 24 volt blue board just for ****s and giggles to simulate the way it was and the machine booted up but still had the e-stop error. This is frustrating. One step forward two back LOL.

So I have the machine booted up and the e stop error is gone. I removed the e-stop on the spindle door and disconnected the wires going to it in the cabinet. Here is a pic of the screen. The manul button works but the power button does not nor does the cycle start. Any ides. I am getting closer on this.Attachment 474546Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1390.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	474548

Sorry for the late reply - I’m away in Ireland at the minute. The wires that went to the head e-stop need one pair to be open circuit, the other pair shorted together. If I remember correctly, the pair that went to the red part of the switch need to be shorted.

Quote Originally Posted by bloke View Post
    Sorry for the late reply - I’m away in Ireland at the minute. The wires that went to the head e-stop need one pair to be open circuit, the other pair shorted together. If I remember correctly, the pair that went to the red part of the switch need to be shorted.
    Which means that one circuit is NO (normally open) and one circuit is NC (normally closed/ shorted). Just for technical jargon sake.

So can you tell me the correct way to eliminate this switch. I don't think it is just a matter of disconnecting the wires. We are talking about the e-stop on the spindle door. I want to leave the others in tact and functional.

I’ll fire up the old laptop later when I get back to my room.

The spindle head e-stop has the normally closed contacts wired between BLK3-29 and the A1 terminal on the 8CR relay (COR relay).
    The normally open contacts are wired between BLK3-10 and TB1-2 (24v).
    To get rid of it, remove the wire at BLK3-10 and tape it off then connect a link between BLK3-29 and relay 8CR A1.

Just so I am clear. I am removing the wire from BLK3-10 so there will be nothing on this terminal. I am running a jumper from BLK3-29 to A1 of the number 8 relay. Do I leave the wires in place that are currently on BLK3-29 and 8CR A1 or do they get removed and replaced by the jumper?

That’s exactly what you need to do. To make the wiring tidier, I’d remove the wires that are currently in BLK3-29 and 8CR A1 and tape them off too.

Okay I have an update. I can boot up the machine and get no errors. I hit the manual button, power button then cycle start. Every thing is normal at this point. The x and y axixs are in the home position. The z axis is all the way up against the stop. When I try to calibrate the machine shuts down and says the Z axis is not in the T/C postion or height. This is true but I have no way to move the z axis without calibration being done.Any ideas?

Sounds like it’s dropped it’s configuration files.

Is there a way to verify that they are there and in tact?

Why can’t you jog Z before it’s calibrated?

The jog control will not activate. I tried that but no luck. I was under the impression that you could not jog the axis until a calibration was done. One thing is that before the x,y, and z axis were at their home positions every time you hit the cycle start the table would move toward the home position in rapid a couple of inches then stop.You would then have to reboot the machine. Once they were home it would move the z axis in rapid up a couple of inches until it got to the top. Does this make any sense?

Addition info. With the machine booted up everything seems to work. I can operate the tool changer functions thru the ATC diagnostics. The light on the jog control lights up but you cannot move the X Y or Z axis. If you try to calibrate it it will give you an error that the "ATC is not in the home position".

Could I have a bad motion control board?

Page 2 of 3 123