584,850 active members*
4,266 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

MX4660 and Delta VFD Wiring Help

Hi All,

I've owned an AvidCnc (Cncrouterparts) 4x4 machine for almost 5 years. Recently, after burning up my second router I decided that a spindle might be in my future. I happen to come across a guy selling a water cooled 2.2kw spindle setup that he just removed from an Avid machine due to an upgrade. Long story short, the price was right and I made the purchase. The spindle is a GMT and the VFD is a Delta VFD022M21A. The wiring (power and motor) are pretty straight forward. However, I am having trouble understanding the wiring between the vfd and my controller so I can control things through Mach3. I thought it would be pretty easy using the VFD schematic and MX4660 setup guide from Avid but I guess I was wrong. For one - the VFD schematic shows 6 wires while the controller guide shows 5. Also, I figured the wire colors would match but began to question myself on that assumption. What I am looking for is some help to cross reference the controller connections to those on the VFD.

MX4660 EGND ------> VFD XXXXX
    MX4660 0-10V Out ------> VFD YYYYY
    MX4660 +10Vdc In ------> VFD ZZZZZ
    MX4660 Output 1- ------> VFD AAAAA
    MX4660 Output 1+ ------> VFD BBBBB

What I need is help with is identifying XXXXX, YYYYYY, ZZZZZ, AAAAA and BBBBB

I've included snapshots of the relevant info from the Avid Guides and the Delta VFD manual

Thanks for your help!!
    Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vfd_inputs.jpg  

Re: MX4660 and Delta VFD Wiring Help

tapper00, you are treading where I dare not. If you aren't on good terms with the factory I would call a commercial electrician to do the wiring.

Have you had the opportunity to look at the pertinent sections of the MX4660 manual?
    http://www.leadshineusa.com/UploadFi...660hm_V1.1.pdf
    Perhaps something there will help - and apologies if you have already done so.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper00 View Post
    Hi All,

I've owned an AvidCnc (Cncrouterparts) 4x4 machine for almost 5 years. Recently, after burning up my second router I decided that a spindle might be in my future. I happen to come across a guy selling a water cooled 2.2kw spindle setup that he just removed from an Avid machine due to an upgrade. Long story short, the price was right and I made the purchase. The spindle is a GMT and the VFD is a Delta VFD022M21A. The wiring (power and motor) are pretty straight forward. However, I am having trouble understanding the wiring between the vfd and my controller so I can control things through Mach3. I thought it would be pretty easy using the VFD schematic and MX4660 setup guide from Avid but I guess I was wrong. For one - the VFD schematic shows 6 wires while the controller guide shows 5. Also, I figured the wire colors would match but began to question myself on that assumption. What I am looking for is some help to cross reference the controller connections to those on the VFD.

MX4660 EGND ------> VFD XXXXX
    MX4660 0-10V Out ------> VFD YYYYY
    MX4660 +10Vdc In ------> VFD ZZZZZ
    MX4660 Output 1- ------> VFD AAAAA
    MX4660 Output 1+ ------> VFD BBBBB

What I need is help with is identifying XXXXX, YYYYYY, ZZZZZ, AAAAA and BBBBB

I've included snapshots of the relevant info from the Avid Guides and the Delta VFD manual

Thanks for your help!!
    Dan
    It is quite a simple connection

VFD Drive connections are

MO to Ground for the Relay On / Off connection

AVI & Ground for the 0-10v Speed control

If you Control needs a 10v supply for the PWM then use AMF & Ground for the 10v supply, check that this VFD Drive output is 10v
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AVI Connection.jpg  
    Mactec54

Mactec54

Thanks for the info. Appreciate the help.

Dan