585,712 active members*
4,386 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Need Help and Advise Nema Motor types

Need Help and Advise Nema Motor types

Hi, I have a tray that is 17" x 14" and have several parts placed on the tray which do a certain task. The tray needs to travel on a vertical type CNC along the 3 Axis(X,Y,Z) in front of a 16X16 matrics placed on a vertical surface(like a wall). The tray weighs 20 pounds and I am thinking to mount the tray on a Cross X and Z axis and then have the whole setup including the X,Z axis and the tray placed on a Gantry type Y axis which will need to raise and lower this heavy weight which now including everything it must be about 50 pounds.
    What type of Nema motors will I need for this setup? I appreciate your help and advise. Thank you and Happy Thanks Giving.

Re: Need Help and Advise Nema Motor types

Hi,
    a stepper is just a motor, so it will not 'lift' anything...as is. It needs to be connected to some sort of linear motion actuator.

If you want precision and reliability the ballscews are the way to go. On Ebay and other places you can buy C7 grade rolled ballscrews including support bearings for say $100 each for
    16mm diameter, 5mm pitch and say 700mm long. C7 screw are +-50um per 300mm and 30 um cyclic....is that accurate enough?

You can get ballscrews in 10mm and 20mm pitch, and they travel very fast but with less thrust. 5mm pitch screw travel slower but have more thrust. With 5mm pitch screws matched to
    (low inductance) 23 or 24 size steppers of say 500oz.in you'll move your 50lb easy, and at considerable speed and repeatability.

Craig

Hi Craig,
    Thanks for the responce, that's what I meant to use the necessary parts and all so in a way it would be a CNC router type of a machine with all the needed hardware and your info on the ball screw iand the motors are very complete and accurate and solves that problem for me. Thanks so very much.

Cy

Hi,

Nema 34s with 650 Oz holding Torque?
    I think that is over the top, 23 size steppers of 200 oz.in I suspect would be ample.

Lets do a rough calculation:

Assume 1Nm torque (approx 190 oz.in)
    16mm diameter ballscrew =0.016m or 0.008m radius.
    5mm pitch =0.005m

Mechanical advantage of ballscrew = 16mm * Pi / 5mm =10

Force acting at 0.008m = 1N / 0.008=125N
    Thrust ( at stall) = 125N * 10 =1250N or 125kgForce....is that enough?

Remember that is just one 200 oz.in motor, if you have two ballscrews and two motors you'd end up with double the thrust.
    You will have to consider that the torque diminishes with speed and this rough estimate is at zero speed or stall.
    With decent low inductance steppers and good high voltage drivers and supply you could rely on 50% torque at 500rpm, but that should still be plenty.

Craig

Craig,
    Thanks again, the formula you have given solved a lot of problems for me and saves me a lot of $ , I had ordered 34s which I now cancelled and will go with 23s of 200oz with plenty of good deals on them and since using 2 for the Y axis raising and holding the tray I will be more than OK.

Happy Thanks giving

Just found this great deal and bought it it should be enogh I hope:

Package Included:---1* CNC V3 ?1* Control Board ? 4* TB6600 ? 4* Limited Switches ?4* 23HS5628 Motor with 30cm wire
    Twotrees CNC Controller Kit with Nema 23 Stepper Motor 8.0 mm shaft?TB6600 Stepper Motor Driver,GRBL CNC Shield Board?Switch Endstop $110

Here it is

The Basic I dea is to have a Motorized vwersion(stepper motors and All) Cross Table as in the pic below mounted on a Gantry style "Y" Axis so it could be raised/hold/lowered as well. In other word a complete CNC but in this form. The Z plate is where the Tray will be placed say 20 pounds + another 20 Lbs. for the Cross Table = 50 Lbs. to maybe 80 max.
    Please advise if the concept might work and if there are other better ways of achieving the same. Thanks

Cy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Table.jpg   Cross Table 2.jpeg   Cross Table 3.jpeg  

Quote Originally Posted by cyquant View Post
    Here it is

The WORST ever 'toy' cnc kit. Built ONLY for 3D printers.
    If Craig says nema23/24 of 500oz/in then don't waste your breath with those TB6600.
    You'll end up doing it twice!.

Think of it this way.
    You're looking a lifting a small to medium sized milling machine head.

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    The WORST ever 'toy' cnc kit. Built ONLY for 3D printers.
    If Craig says nema23/24 of 500oz/in then don't waste your breath with those TB6600.
    You'll end up doing it twice!.

Think of it this way.
    You're looking a lifting a small to medium sized milling machine head.
    I absolutely agree, indeed Craig's advise was precious and I immediately accepted and as informed above went ahead and purchased 4 x Nema 23s but, my most recent post was about showing an approximate concept of what I have in mind to build and the question was for my purpose if the concept I have chosen is the best route?
    Last edited by cyquant; 11-26-2021 at 01:56 PM.

I'm now focused on the below concept one on each side of the Gantry( I call this the "Y" Axis(not sure if right or wrong))to lift and hold the "X" which carries the "Z" axis with my Tray on it. Please advise if I'm not way off-course on the concept? Thanks

P.S.
    Also since the 2 of these will be placed vertically, the carriages can hold and not fall off?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Y Axis.jpg  

In the picture above If the rail guides are placed closest to each other is a better choice or if possible further apart?