584,866 active members*
5,028 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > EMCO CNC Machines > EMCO Mills > Emco F3 conversion - electronics and controller
Page 3 of 3 123

Re: Emco F3 conversion - electronics and controller

Quote Originally Posted by fastbike View Post
    I hooked these switches up on the test bench to the EdingCNC UIO-10 accessory board to check how the switching works with the software.

<snip> the input for stepping 0.001mm per pulse is actually mapped to 0.01mm. Eding are looking into this and I expect a new version of the firmware will be forth coming.
    <snip>
    Eding have investigated and it appears that the display on the PC is not updating, a new version of the software will remedy that.

I've been doing more wiring while awaiting some XLR 6 pin sockets to arrive - they are the connectors for the encoder (feedback) from the closed loop steppers. The shipping date keeps on slipping into the future, now showing 7 April. Hopefully not too far away.

I have done insulation and continuity checks on the 400V part of circuit, I really do not want to see that part generate any smoke

I've also prototyped the control panel from some 5mm MDF, which I'll just attached with some tape. This will allow me to get the machine running before splashing out on a professionally produced anodised/laser etched alloy panel.

The shipping date keeps on slipping into the future, now showing 7 April. Hopefully not too far away.
    So those parts now show a shipping date of 8 May. And Element14/Farnell show them shipping in August, so time to choose a different supplier.

In the interim I've mainly completed the internal wiring of the control enclosure. That's a huge job in itself.
    Here's a photo showing the hinged backplane in the open position. The stepper drivers are unplugged as I have not tested any thing yet so want to proceed one axis at a time. I've installed 3 drives (CL86T) for X Y Z and there is room for a future 4th axis, which the controller can handle.

Attachment 478810

More later in the week - hopefully including a test of a motor.

So those parts now show a shipping date of 8 May. And Element14/Farnell show them shipping in August, so time to choose a different supplier.

Have a look on Aliexpress just for curiosity.
    Never know what you may find.
    I've had quite a few things from there.

In the interim I've mainly completed the internal wiring of the control enclosure. That's a huge job in itself.
    Here's a photo showing the hinged backplane in the open position. The stepper drivers are unplugged as I have not tested any thing yet so want to proceed one axis at a time. I've installed 3 drives (CL86T) for X Y Z and there is room for a future 4th axis, which the controller can handle.

Attachment 478810

More later in the week - hopefully including a test of a motor.
    XLR6 Panel Mount or cable mount
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    XLR6 Panel Mount or cable mount
    Panel mounted, 6 pin, male gender. I have found some now from a different brand

I'm having trouble with the setup of the Eding auxiliary input board. The configuration software keeps losing mapping of physical inputs to the underlying software commands.

I have raised a support ticket with the vendor but don't expect to hear anything back for a few days with the Easter shutdown.

I've powered up the 24v and 48v sections of the enclosure.

I'm getting a limits switch fault light come on - which makes sense as I have not yet fitted any limit switches. I'll need to provide a temporary input for further testing.

Attachment 478818

The drive alarm input from the drive also needs to be looked at probably as I've not finished wiring them up yet.

Some more progress. I was waiting for a bench power supply to arrive so I could bench test the controller before I commit to ripping out the existing control gear and replacing it with this new version.

I've hooked up a stepper to the X axis driver and loaded a sample CNC file into the software.

Clicking home then start gave me this ...
    https://youtube.com/shorts/CZhc0iYlf9I

Next step is to make the interface panel that fits in the side of the enclosure. This is where the 4x XLR connectors are located for the encoder feedback from the steppers.

I've also been given an updated version of the software from EdingCNC, to address the configuration of the UIO-10 auxiliary board. It is better but it still has not fixed the configuration problem. I'll keep working with them so we can get the manual control panel working as required,

I've got a new version of the control software to install to see if it fixes the mapping (of buttons) issue. I'll have a go this coming weekend.

Did you ever finish this? Curious about your overall experience with the EdingCNC controller. Planning to pull the trigger on the CNC720 in the next few months.

Quote Originally Posted by catahoula View Post
    Did you ever finish this? Curious about your overall experience with the EdingCNC controller. Planning to pull the trigger on the CNC720 in the next few months.
    I've got the basic machine working. However I'm still fettling with the controls as I want a mill that I can run semi-manually. I.e. buttons to step in the X-Y-Z axes at various speeds. The CNC720 and associated UIO-10 does not directly support my requirements so I'm making an auxillary board to go between my buttons and the UIO-10 (arduino based).
    The actual CNC720 is a good piece of kit, the software has been recently over hauled and is good. Definitely get the breakout board. I also got the DIN rail mount.

Cool, thanks. I agree, the breakout board seems like a must . Good luck with the custom stuff

I hooked these switches up on the test bench to the EdingCNC UIO-10 accessory board to check how the switching works with the software.
    I'm building my own control panel and I can't seem to find any reference to rapid overrides in the UIO-10 "manual" (airquotes mine LOL). I assume it's because EdingCNC doesn't treat G0 and G1 any differently, and the same potentiometer which affects G1 will also affect G0, but I'm looking for confirmation. Is that true? Does your feed override pot also reduce rapids?

Page 3 of 3 123