585,733 active members*
5,010 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > EMCO CNC Machines > EMCO Mills > Emco F3 conversion - electronics and controller

Threaded View

Emco F3 conversion - electronics and controller

This is a supplementary thread to the others detailing the conversion of my Emco F3 mill, in which I will detail the changes to the electronics and some considerations for selecting a controller.
    The original electronics are switch gear that are typical of the period: good quality equipment but very 1980's in execution. The power supply is 3 phase 400V AC, and interesting has no neutral wire, read on. Power to the main motor is controlled via a two speed dahlander switch which allows the motor windings to be connected as delta or star to vary the speed.
    Supply to the existing X Axis power feed (the only one originally fitted) is via a transformer and the variable speed is handled by some crusty looking electronics on a board in the control box.
    The coolant pump is a 3 phase motor and has a simple 3 pole switch.
    The DRO is an obscure brand (Aurki) and requires 230VAC. This is supplied by one phase and connecting the DRO's neutral wire to the mill's protective earth - thus relying on the tie between the neutral and earth at the building's electrical installation to carry the return current. IMO, this is not a particularly safe way of doing it but I'll be ditching the DRO once I have the CNC conversion completed so it stays at this point in time.

The manual controls are placed on a sloped panel facing the operator - this panel sits atop the control box which is a fabricated steel cabinet bolted to the rear of the machine column. Dimensions are roughly 500H x 250W x 190 D, with the control panel protruding another 195mm.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2022-01-10 18-56-42.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	474500

The slightly later F3B model changed the shape of the control box - it does not slope back under the operator panel - and I think a design similar to this could provide additional internal capacity for the gear that needs to be installed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2022-01-10 18-58-27.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	474502
    There is sufficient room to make the box 50mm wider (although I'd like to reuse the door), or make it deeper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot from 2022-01-10 18-58-27.png