585,702 active members*
4,053 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Mb19 centurion 7 error 188

Mb19 centurion 7 error 188

Hey everybody! I'm having a heck of a time with this mb19. I purchased it in October 2021. Got it to the shop, ran great for a month. Randomly started throwing an error 188, then it got worse and worse. Got to digging thru the paperwork that came with the mill, and the controller was sent into milltronics in September 2020 because of error 188. They changed the power supply and verified everything was good. There is also paperwork for a new fiber optic cable around the same date, so that's been fixed too. What else should I be looking at? Could it be the interface board in the cabinet, seeing as the other 2 things I've seen that causes it have already been checked/changed? I'm about to pull my hair out, and I don't have much left. Lol. I also noticed that my actual rpms are no longer accurate on the screen. It bounces from 0 to 5rpms, no matter what speed I've got going. Where should I start with that? Thanks in advance. I've been scouring the web looking for answers.

I got with milltronics customer service (they are awesome, by the way!!) They sent me the procures for diagnosing 188 errors.. checked all my voltages, everything was good. I was to the point that we were getting quotes on a new interface. Then I brought up the rpm Guage issue, and he suggested unplugging the spindle encoder. Knock on wood, I've been running solid for 4 hours now without a single 188 error. I dont tap with this machine, so I probably won't bother getting another one. So if you are having lots of 188 errors and the rpms are not showing correctly on Your display, try unplugging the spindle encoder. Might save you the stress and headache I've had for a week.

Re: Mb19 centurion 7 error 188

I'm having the same issue with my ML-18, however I need to thread with it so unplugging the encoder would not work. But did it keep running yet? I'm thinking maybe I need a new encoder. I have already replaced every power supply port and still getting the error 188 intermittently. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when it happens. I also have the same issue with the spindle readout not being correct, when looking at the i/o's it is constantly sending very little power to the spindle at all times when not running, except in e-stop mode.

Quote Originally Posted by uwplattgrad04 View Post
    I'm having the same issue with my ML-18, however I need to thread with it so unplugging the encoder would not work. But did it keep running yet? I'm thinking maybe I need a new encoder. I have already replaced every power supply port and still getting the error 188 intermittently. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when it happens. I also have the same issue with the spindle readout not being correct, when looking at the i/o's it is constantly sending very little power to the spindle at all times when not running, except in e-stop mode.
    Last month it went down again. Worse than ever before. Would not run for more than a minute. Checked voltages in the panel on the back, good. Pulled the front off the pendant, and smelled electrical. Turned power on to check the power supply, and heard sizzling. Ended up with a melted trace on the front panel circuit board, and a power supply that was not working right at all. 11.7 volts and 4.6 volts. I decided to think outside the box, and went a different route instead of getting another AT power supply from milltronics. I ended up using a dedicated 5v power supply and a 12v power supply. Made a new wiring harness for the control pendant. Also had to replace the lcd backlight, as the power spike I experienced fried it to. I ended up putting an led backlight in the screen. Everything is up and running now, no errors, machine is booting faster and seems more responsive to inputs. That could just be in my head, though. I highly recommend checking the voltages on the power supply for the motherboard. Check it with everything hooked up and powered on, also. Because mine would be the correct voltage if I checked it without a load.