584,865 active members*
4,913 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Chinese Machines > Controller decision for purchasing Chinese CNC machine

Controller decision for purchasing Chinese CNC machine

Hi all,

Have been looking through various forums for suggestions but just haven't been able to find any decent answers.

I currently have a QueenBee Pro based CNC that I built with hybrid steppers, water-cooled spindle, and Masso G3 controller.

I'm in the process of buying a Chinese 1212/1313 machine with ATC and vacuum table and an having a hard time deciding on a controller.
    My options are:
    1. Chinese Mach 3 board
    2. NK105 controller
    3. RichAuto B57 DSP
    4. Have the machine sent without a controller and get a good one.

I'm going to use the machine on plywood mostly, with some wood processing.

I'm looking for a good controller recommendations that's reliable, fast, support slave Y axis with independent homing, and has post processors for Fusion, Vectric, and MasterCam. Ideally I'd rather not use a computer, but I do want a screen to show toolpaths.

I also like the idea of just having the machine arrive ready to run and not having to wire and configure a bunch of things.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!!

Langley Woodworker

Edit: updated requirements to include slave Y axis homing

Re: Controller decision for purchasing Chinese CNC machine

Better having the machine arrive ready to run and not having to wire and configure a bunch of things.
    http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

Avoid chinese Mach3 controller boards.
    For a ready to run option, your choice would be RichAuto controller, but if you prefer to do spaghetti works woth wiring, obtain some EU / US made controllers like ESS or UC300/400 or AXBBE.
    You cn also consider Russian PLCM series of controllers, they run with their own Pumotix software.
    Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.

Hi,
    if you are considering Mach....then don't bother with Mach3, all development ceased seven years ago and its too damn difficult to program ATC. Mach4 is current and its scripting
    ability far exceeds Mach3. For that purpose I would recommend an ESS.

Craig

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I've seen the warnings against Chinese Mach3 boards, wasn't going that route. Not really thinking Mach3/4/UCCNC either. More just thinking if there is any real benefit of Masso G3 vs RichAuto B57 (or any other standalone controller in specific)... Anyone had experience (first or second hand :-D) with both of those?

Mach3 need computer control ,mach3 hand wheel dont show tool path ,Mow mach3 is mian popualr on basic cnc.
    NK105 have not screen .
    B57 support ATC ,with one screen .
    PP , need engineer edit and test for you .
    how about conact with me ,send more picture and manual etc.

my whatsapp is +8618560201508 [email protected]

Having just received the machine the B57 DSP I can say I'm not happy with it. There aren't nearly enough safety guards in it that have since caused it to crash multiple times and break a handful of end mills and tool holder forks.

The documentation for it is awful, and just omits to explain certain functions. I asked RichAuto to explain those functions and was told that they don't provide those explanations to anyone. I was trying to figure out an issue with the machine and enabled debug mode which broke the controller and I had to re flash new firmware to get it working again. RichAuto said I shouldn't be using that function....

This is in complete contrast to the fantastic support and design of my previous system: Masso G3

So for anyone still thinking of RichAuto is worth it.... The short answer is no.

Long answer: unless you have no other choice, still no.

do you buy ATC with dsp b57 ? or just buy one pcs control system ?
    ATC control system also have Nc studio,Syntec ,Xingduowei etc

Quote Originally Posted by allencncrouter View Post
    do you buy ATC with dsp b57 ? or just buy one pcs control system ?
    ATC control system also have Nc studio,Syntec ,Xingduowei etc
    It was part of new CNC machine with ATC.

Problem with Syntec is price (nearly double B57), and problem with the other two is availability of non-Chinese support. It's the same with B57, but for this one I can also speak that it's not fully thought through, and is missing basic safety features, plus it's not configurable to the degree to fix it's flaws.

One example: when changing tools, after taking new took, the machine lifts the Z axis by a pre set amount. This amount is unique to each tool position, and is not in absolute position. If you select a value that's too high, instead of going to the top, the DSP fails and quits ATC operation. They're should be an option to just raise the tool to the maximum height. This issue cost me two end mills.

Second example: there is no "no-go" zone setting that would force the machine to move outside of the tool storage area in a predetermined matter before continuing to move to a specific location. So if my tool length sensor is beside the magazine at the back of the machine, and I tell it to switch tools right after measuring tool length, on the way back to the tool length sensor the machine will run into tools sitting in the magazine. This issue cost me another end mill and two of those plastic tool holder forks.

Third example: DSP changes work offset after replacing a tool and measuring it's length. So if my tool breaks in the middle of the operation, I have to reset the work Z0 before continuing. Continued in fourth example...

Fourth example: the DSP doesn't support simultaneous tool length sensor, and work Z zero plate. So if I have a tool length sensor, then I have to set the work height manually, which is slow and inaccurate. And if you have to swap a broken tool in the middle of a program, you have to reset the work height manually (and inaccurately).

Fifth example: and this one's pretty crazy. There is a set of parameters that are available to change that have no explanation as to what they actually do. When trying to figure out why my tool changes were failing, I decided to turn on debug mode and see if that can help. Well that put the DSP into a state where it was no longer working (re initializing didn't help, memory reset didn't help) and only after reflashing the firmware was I about to finally get it working, but of course, all the configurations were lost at that point. Even better - when asking RichAuto for getting an explanation of what those functions do, I was told they don't give that information to anyone.

There are more examples, but I think this shows my point.

I hope you can understand why I'm very disappointed with a DSP that cost over $1000 and has all these issues.

I can tell you that I was far happier with Masso G3, and the story available for that is incredible. Plus it uses an actual monitor and far better user interface. And supports 5 axis, multiple spindle heads (including laser and plasma!), and has support to individually drive and home each Y axis separately.

I am about to purchase a StyleCNC that comes with this controller - a Taiwan LNC controller with a really nice screen and interface along with remote control wheel. Seems easy to use based on the video. Anyone have experience with it or comments?

https://www.stylecnc.com/cnc-router-...ontroller.html

I'm fighting tool change crashes with a B57 and your post has helped immensely. Both the machine manufacturer and supplier have not been helpful so far. Thank you Langley Woodworker.