584,866 active members*
5,249 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Router to spindel/vfd touch plate probe

Router to spindel/vfd touch plate probe

So I went from router to spindle. With router my touch plate & clip worked fine. When I tried to put clip on end of spindle the motor took off . What is happing?......

Re: Router to spindel/vfd touch plate probe

Quote Originally Posted by Goo67 View Post
    So I went from router to spindle. With router my touch plate & clip worked fine. When I tried to put clip on end of spindle the motor took off . What is happing?......
    When you say the motor took off, did the motor turn on, or the Z axis moved, that would not normally be possible, unless you have some wiring problem, is the spindle Ground correctly.
    Mactec54

Motor is not mounted on machine yet was just testing probe. The spindle is grounded thru earth on vfd it was the motor that turned on. I have the vfd hooked to my control box for mach3 to control spindle, 0-10v for freq./speed.

Motor is not mounted on machine yet was just testing probe. The spindle is grounded thru earth on vfd it was the motor that turned on. I have the vfd hooked to my control box for mach3 to control spindle, 0-10v for freq./speed.
    You must have some incorrect wiring then, post some photos of all the wiring of the spindle and VFD Drive to the Breakout Board

Do you have a relay that turns the VFD Drive on??
    Mactec54

This shows my hookup the ground wire pin four on spindle hooks to earth on vfd prode is hooked to pin 11 and 5v on bob on the imput side.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I think I have narrowed it Down to ground problem. I think Gnd and earth are meeting some where. Going to keep looking.

So checked all ground wireing and no ac ground and DC ground together. So back to start.

So checked all ground wireing and no ac ground and DC ground together. So back to start.
    Check the the Spindle Ground (Earth) is connected, some spindles do not have this connected, do you have an air-cooled spindle or water-cooled spindle, the Pin 4 should have continuity to the spindle body, if not then this has to be corrected.
    Mactec54

It's water cooled. Fist thing when I opened the box was take pin jack off the top and ground spindle wire pin 4. I have continuity from spindle body thru wire. Hooked to earth from wall to earth on vfd.

Spindle runs,stops,speeds all work thru mach3. The clip touched to the plate works as it should if spindle not in the mix.

Spindle runs,stops,speeds all work thru mach3. The clip touched to the plate works as it should if spindle not in the mix.
    Sounds like you need a Tool Setter like one of these, or you could make one they are very simple to make, these don't need a clip to the tool.

https://cnc-plus.de/en/Router-Access...g-Sensor-.html

https://www.yrcnc.com/product/cnc-tool-touch-off-probe/
    Mactec54

Measure the resistance from spindle tool to ground. If this is near zero ohms as it should be and it still does this then you should be able to touch any ground and get it to happen. If it does you have wiring error or bad macro in the touch off routine

Mactec54 do they make any of these with edge finding capabilities, can you lay it on its side and use it that way. I'm going to purchase one and try it. Thanks for the help.

Mactec54 do they make any of these with edge finding capabilities, can you lay it on its side and use it that way. I'm going to purchase one and try it. Thanks for the help.
    You would want a full Probe to do that, which is held in the spindle, you can then prob your work in all 3 Axis then, putting the Tool Touch Probe on its side may work, I would say though it could be designed to work and do edge X & Y Plus Z in the same package which would be more convenient than a full Probe for basic setup like this. this could be something new to make I may try it.
    Mactec54