584,837 active members*
5,521 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

QueenBee Pro Build - experience and thoughts

So I built my machine about 8-9 months ago and have put a few hundred hours on it at this point and wanted to share my experience and thoughts on the machine, the parts I picked up, in hopes that it will be helpful to someone. I'm actually in process of selling this machine to upgrade to another.

Machine details:
    - 1515 / 1500mm x 1500mm (i.e. 4ft x 4ft or actually 48.25" x 50.25" working space)
    - QueenBee Pro mechanical kit from Bulkman 3D
    - 1.5kW 110V ER16 24K spindle from G-Penny (i.e. BEST Technology CO)
    - 4x Rtelligent 3Nm Nema 24 60A3ED Closed Loop Motors with T60 drivers
    - 48V power supply for motors
    - Masso G3 controller
    - routed 4" dust hose
    - sound proof enclosure using mineral wool sound proof insulation and 2x4 with drywall construction

Thoughts on Performance:
    - at 1500mm long, the gantry is not nearly stiff enough and should really use at least 50x100 extrusions or bigger, as opposed to the 40x80 they use
    - I have to limit the speed and force on the spindle, otherwise the gantry twists. cutting at 4000mm/min (about 150 IPS) and 3/16 depth of cut with a 1/4 end mill produces pretty decent results
    - Y axis works just fine with 4080 and I didn't notice any issues
    - 8mm lead screw is: a) too thin and whips around too much, and b) is wearing out the Delrin nuts pretty quickly
    - have to limit rapids on the machine to 5000 mm/min (about 200 IPS) to limit screw whip
    - the 3Nm motors are crazy powerful and can probably push the machine to double the speeds I have it at now
    - spindle has been great, no complaints. plenty powerful enough
    - controller is great - I love not having to have the computer nearby and have had 0 issues with it

Support received:
    - Bulkman 3D has been good in providing support, though I didn't need much from them
    - G-Penny / BEST Tech has been good but very slow (I recently had a vibration issue when going above 18K RPM and it took a few weeks of chasing to get updated VFD settings to resolve)

Lessons learned:
    - I bought the Nema 24 motors for their low 1.8 mH rating... should have stuck with Nema 23 as I had to manufacture the adapter plates and adapt the design a bit
    - closed loop hybrid steppers are absolutely fantastic - I can easily stop the motion with my hand when in open loop, when in closed loop the steppers just move my hand out of the way no matter what
    - 8mm lead screw is too thin and not accurate. Highly recommend you consider the "QueenAnt Pro" machine or upgrade from Yuyong Industry, though I don't have any experience with it
    - replace the X axis extrusion with a much stiffer one if you're going for 1500mm long span
    - soundproofed enclosure goes a LONG way... highly recommend

I use my machine mainly in plywood and hardwood - works great. I was debating the QueenAnt Pro upgrade along with some way to stiffen the X axis extrusion, but decided that purchasing a reliable welded steel machine with ATC and vacuum table already built in is going to save me more time in the long run.
    I would still recommend this machine, especially when knowing it's limitations and being able to work with them. I still use it on a regular basis and will continue to do so until I sell it for the upgrade.

Let me know your thoughts on my build, what would you have done differently?
    And if you have any questions, please let me know - happy to help.

Build photos:
    Attachment 474862
    Attachment 474864
    Attachment 474866
    Attachment 474876
    Attachment 474868
    Attachment 474878
    Attachment 474880
    Attachment 474882

Re: QueenBee Pro Build - experience and thoughts

Wow! I love how you repurposed that PC case. That is very clever. The only thing I would change would be simplifying the dust collection line. I think suspending the hose from the ceiling with a bungie cord would have shortened the hose considerably.

Regards,

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rickey_H View Post
    Wow! I love how you repurposed that PC case. That is very clever. The only thing I would change would be simplifying the dust collection line. I think suspending the hose from the ceiling with a bungie cord would have shortened the hose considerably.

Regards,

Rick
    In my case I was constrained by the enclosure in order to keep the noise as low as possible, so this was a compromise. And for what it's worth, using 4" straight pipe is far more efficient than flexible hose, so I'm not sure what would have resulted in better airflow in the end.

I did upgrade and did the exact same dust collection setup again and I'm not having any issues with it.

I'm actually down to 62-64dB on my second go around so I'm quite happy. And the dust collection is working just fine.

I had seriously considered the QueenBee before deciding I would design my own. I had my doubts and as you have confiirmed the single 8040 for the gantry was not adequate for 1500mm length. You could do what I did and bolt two, or three together. Does it run off of 8mm leadscrew, the kind you find in most 3d printers? That would explain the speed issues. I would plan on replacing those as soon as budget and time allows. I'm impressed you boxed it all in. Still very nice and thanks for sharing.

Hello Langley,

Congratulations first of all for sharing your creation with us, it seems very successful. In the middle of building a soundproof and dustproof box as well, I am looking to know the maximum height in mm of the Z axis once the Nema 23 motor is mounted? this will allow me to delimit the height of the insulation box included.

Can you please give me advice on the functionality and device of the anti-dust system?

Looking forward to learning.

Have a nice day and best creations 2024 for you too.

Anthony