585,568 active members*
3,573 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Pathpilot on Lathe, displaying actual RPM

I've converted a non-tormach Lathe over to PathPilot. I have a spindle encoder connected and working. I see the actual measured speed of the spindle in HALMETER, so I know the encoder is doing what it is supposed to do.

At some point in the conversion, when I typed in an RPM and hit FWD, the spindle would spin up, and the RPM DRO would change until it hit the commanded speed. I expect that this was not actual RPM, but an estimated RPM by PathPilot. Now, for some reason it is no longer doing this. The only thing I ever see in the RPM dro is the commanded RPM.

Question: Does the RPM display on an actual Tormach Lathe running PathPilot show actual RPM when its running? I am flying blind because I do not have, or have access to an actual tomach lathe.

Thanx,
    Scott...
    Instructional Videos for CNC Guitar Building
    http://www.rmgvideos.com

Re: Pathpilot on Lathe, displaying actual RPM

What version of Lathe are you setting up 15L, 8L or other ?? I am finishing up with a 8L version install. In 8L there is an input pin where you bring in an encoder signal to drive the running RPM value. ALSO in 8L if that signal is missing the spindle will not start (safety function).

(;-) TP

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    What version of Lathe are you setting up 15L, 8L or other ?? I am finishing up with a 8L version install. In 8L there is an input pin where you bring in an encoder signal to drive the running RPM value. ALSO in 8L if that signal is missing the spindle will not start (safety function).

(;-) TP
    I used the 15L files as a starter. The 8L is using what appears to be a different controller board vs the MESA 7i92h that I am using. I've done a few of these conversions with MESA boards, and the 15L uses a MESA so the files were familiar to me.

Are you talking about this one?

# VFD_RUNNING feedback frequency from VFD
    setp hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).0.encoder.01.counter-mode 1
    net vfd-running hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).0.encoder.01.velocity tormachspindlem200.vfd-rpm-feedback

Scott...

The RPM DRO on the 15L does change in operation. I expect it comes off the spindle encoder although I've not bothered to compare with a separate tach.

YEP that is the one it actually uses a freq off of the VFD itself and comes into an encoder pin on the card. I would tap into the actual encoder signal to drive that function UNLESS your VFD has a Freq output for RPM. IF PP does not see any signal after the spindle is command to start it shuts down the spindle at least on the 8L it does.

As to 7i92 vs EMC board it is about the same thing only different. You just route the I/O to a different set of pins. I use the Mesa 7i80 as it has a TON of extra I/O for all the extra goodies we all NEED (;-)

The real trouble sometimes is how Tormach routes all its safety functions through about 4-5 moduals. Then to modify it you have to figure out where it all leads to. So you use their exact setup or learn to mod the code to make YOUR setup work. The LEAST you have to change the easier it is to UPGRADE versions. I am down to save off 4 files then reload the 4 files after updates. Simple but I need to write a script to do it automatically . Trouble is a I would rather sling chips than modify undocumented code.

(;-) TP

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    YEP that is the one it actually uses a freq off of the VFD itself and comes into an encoder pin on the card. I would tap into the actual encoder signal to drive that function UNLESS your VFD has a Freq output for RPM. IF PP does not see any signal after the spindle is command to start it shuts down the spindle at least on the 8L it does.

As to 7i92 vs EMC board it is about the same thing only different. You just route the I/O to a different set of pins. I use the Mesa 7i80 as it has a TON of extra I/O for all the extra goodies we all NEED (;-)

(;-) TP
    Are you driving your vfd with PWMGEN or STEPGEN?

Could you send me the main .hal file that is running for you? i.e. the replacement you made for tormach8L.hal

Thanks,
    Scott...

The 8L setup here runs on S/D. We are also struggling getting a C6 S/D card to run with PP and the Mesa running it out to a BOB. The C6 wants a really strong signal and getting it all the way out to the C6 has been a struggle. BUT I hope I have it solved now. When I get the 8L here driving teh C6 card properly I will gladly send you the Hal.

ON another machine (mill) I use PWM as the BOB was already set up for it.

I usally try to go with whatever the PP has for hardware . Less work that way. BUT the newer the machine type the more complicated it gets do to safety functions. SOME of them are horrible to deal with working from the outside with no real knowledge of how it all works (;-). IF only there were DOCs. Life would be so good.

So far I have set up a router, mill and lathe with 2 more complicated mills to go. One is a simple ATC and the other a very complicated ATC that uses a robotic style arm to load tools. I am working on an Arduino approach for the robotic armed ATC but not quite there yet (;-)

(;-) TP

(;-) TP

Is the EMC board in an 8L also made by Mesa? if so, whats the mesa board designator?

Scott...