584,871 active members*
5,191 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

ATC with Arduino

Has anyone worked out using an Arduino to run an ATC in PathPilot in place of their ATC board ??

(;-) TP

Re: ATC with Arduino

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    Has anyone worked out using an Arduino to run an ATC in PathPilot in place of their ATC board ??

(;-) TP
    This one is not arduino, but its homebrew and looks promising.

https://shop.xoomspeed.com/products/atc-model

Scott...
    Instructional Videos for CNC Guitar Building
    http://www.rmgvideos.com

IF I remember correctly he would not sell just the Control card he wanted to sell the KIT. Which I do not need as the ATC is already running on the Machine under another CNC controller. I want to switch it to PP so I need the ATC controller OR I have to do it the hard way and use PP i/o to run it . USING the PP atc control I get to use the ATC facilities built into PP.

(;-) TP

Here is a link to a video on Youtube. He made an Arduino controlled ATC for his Tormach.

Yes but he does not interface with the PP atc functions. Trying to stay Tormach based functions.

(;-) TP

Let me ask something else (;-) DOES anyone know exactly what the ATC board controls ??

(;-) TP

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    Let me ask something else (;-) DOES anyone know exactly what the ATC board controls ??

(;-) TP
    Exactly, no, but I have some experience with them since the first betas and the designer (RIP Bob) was a friend of mine. It depends a bit on which machine-version of the ATC it is, but at a minimum it controls the operation of the ATC stepper and air stuff like the cylinder, blast and PDB, plus spindle interlocks. I'm trying to remember if it owns which tools are where. I think I had to redo them after replacing one, but it's been too long.

I've always figured the $250 USB I/O module is a bit speedy. Must be a way to get around it, maybe direct to the mesa card or something
    M

The USBio interface is pretty simple to duplicate with an Arduino and relay module for a lot less than $250. It is particularly cost effective to make your own if you need more than 4 relays/inputs.

Actually you can bypass the USBi/o by routing all the resources thru a mesa card. I use the 7i80 which has a ton of extra i/o and use that instead of the USB pins. The hard part without the ATC card is to run the carrosel. You have to modify PathPilot to run AUX axis UVW . At least one of them and then you have NO screen DRO so you move in the blind so to speak. But if everything is correct it moves where it is suppose to.
    The trick is going to be able to trick PP into being able to use all the ATC resources built into PathPilot. IF one were to develop an ATC board that tricked PP and only did the Carrosel rotations I could handle the rest easy enough. I am not a progammer so that part is TOUGH for me.

I was really hoping when Tormach opened up their repair policy we would be able to buy the ATC control board.

Justa thought, (;-) TP

(;-) TP

For me it is very valuable to stick with Tormach supported configurations. I can then install a new PP release without hours of futzing about to make the necessary configuration changes.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    The USBio interface is pretty simple to duplicate with an Arduino and relay module for a lot less than $250. It is particularly cost effective to make your own if you need more than 4 relays/inputs.
    Arduinos I'm familiar with but never seem to have the time to look into the tormach side of things. Care to share your setup?
    M

Updates for me are simple I copy off 4 files then update then copy back 4 files and off I go (;-) It is because I use the Tormach structure of doing things to run the machines. That was the reason to find a PathPilot ATC compatible Arduino setup. It simplifies everything.
    Now the off side of that is you DO have to do things the Tormach way (;-) but that is not bad as they ARE open to suggestions.

(;-) TP