585,589 active members*
3,586 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Manufacturing Processes > Milling > Any suggestions on raising workpiece vertically in Z Axis?

Any suggestions on raising workpiece vertically in Z Axis?

I am looking for methods to raise my workpiece vertically. There is a design flaw in my DIY 5 axis CNC's Z Axis where the spindle sits several inches off of the bed when fully extended and the A Axis is rotated 90 degrees. There is a significant area that is not being exploited because I am limited to how far down I can get the tool tip while at 90 degrees. This poses a problem when I am performing 3+2 machining and milling from the side.

For example, while manufacturing a part I used 3 axis milling on the top, rotate the A Axis 90 degrees, and 3 axis milling from the side. Currently, I will mill from the top, and then I have to build a platform and raise the workpiece to mount on the raised platform and then mill on the side. This is labor intensive, risky, and heavy.

I have mounted parts a scissor lift platform, but that is certainly not the most precise platform as I cannot rid it of a slight wobble.

The only other solution that I have is to build a steel framed bed topped with a spoilboard that raises and lowers by either crank or motor. This way, I can raise and lower without having to remove the workpiece. I have designed the platform and have the components selected. However, before I splurge on the components to build this rig, I would like to know if has anyone else ran into this issue? If so, suggestions/solutions are welcomed.

Also, what would I call this if I were to Google where to buy one?

Re: Any suggestions on raising workpiece vertically in Z Axis?

Not sure what I would call that. Stool maybe? Spacer?

But since need to be able to adjust the height, more or less on the fly, maybe a Porta-Power cylinder would work. They come in many sizes and are quite heavy, might make a stable base. You might need to add a clamp of some kind to keep the cylinder from rotating. If you are creative, it could even be powered by a servo or stepper for accurate adjustment, pretty simple.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Thanks for the suggestion. My design consists of 4 screwjacks at each end. This needs to be completely stable, no wobble.

Member machinehop5 has alerted me that the fixture is called a "Riser."

Also called a Jig Fixture and are often custom made for a production run of machined parts.
    Many shops custom design & build something like this to suit the actual application.
    See Jig & Fixture here https://www.rapiddirect.com/blog/jig...s%20stationary.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

...they were called Die Carts....still are I think..lol
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...=11804&_sop=10

Basically a W axis if, cnc controlled you need?

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomGhost View Post
    I am looking for methods to raise my workpiece vertically. There is a design flaw in my DIY 5 axis CNC's Z Axis where the spindle sits several inches off of the bed when fully extended and the A Axis is rotated 90 degrees. There is a significant area that is not being exploited because I am limited to how far down I can get the tool tip while at 90 degrees. This poses a problem when I am performing 3+2 machining and milling from the side.

For example, while manufacturing a part I used 3 axis milling on the top, rotate the A Axis 90 degrees, and 3 axis milling from the side. Currently, I will mill from the top, and then I have to build a platform and raise the workpiece to mount on the raised platform and then mill on the side. This is labor intensive, risky, and heavy.

I have mounted parts a scissor lift platform, but that is certainly not the most precise platform as I cannot rid it of a slight wobble.

The only other solution that I have is to build a steel framed bed topped with a spoilboard that raises and lowers by either crank or motor. This way, I can raise and lower without having to remove the workpiece. I have designed the platform and have the components selected. However, before I splurge on the components to build this rig, I would like to know if has anyone else ran into this issue? If so, suggestions/solutions are welcomed.

Also, what would I call this if I were to Google where to buy one?

Can you add a spacer? at the C Axes and drop it down and then the work Tombstone / Tower would not have to be so tall, many 5 Axis CNC Machines use Tombstones to support the work, there are many different types, to suit the work you are doing, or you can make your own.
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Also called a Jig Fixture and are often custom made for a production run of machined parts.
    Many shops custom design & build something like this to suit the actual application.
    See Jig & Fixture here https://www.rapiddirect.com/blog/jig...s%20stationary.
    Sweet link, thanks Al!

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Can you add a spacer? at the C Axes and drop it down and then the work Tombstone / Tower would not have to be so tall, many 5 Axis CNC Machines use Tombstones to support the work, there are many different types, to suit the work you are doing, or you can make your own.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Would I lose the travel space at the top? I will look into it