585,599 active members*
3,665 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > Random Glitches in Gantry Travel on Avid Pro 48 x 48

Random Glitches in Gantry Travel on Avid Pro 48 x 48

Unit: 48 x 48 Pro
    Software: Mach 4 running G code generated by Vcarve Pro
    System: Windows XP, on Dell unit with 16 mb RAM
    No recent changes to hardware or software

Problem: Best described as random glitches in Y and Z travel, either when traversing manually or in a run. When traversing, gantry momentarily sounds like it hit something and the continues on. Again, very random. (Initially thought that a belt might have jumped a tooth, but belts are tight.) Most recent event was Z-travel. While in the middle of a program, z axis extended down almost an inch on the last pass, when it should have only extended down about an 1/8" of an inch . (Bit did not move in the spindle. Also, no belt to jump on the Z-axis) Fortunately heard the spindle loading up and hit the kill switch. When I retracted the z axis up, the final top stopping position was off by the same amount. Re-homed all three axes and it homed as expected. But, the randomness of this has got me wondering where to focus so that real damage does not occur.

I always home the machine before a job.
    I turn the CNC on first, then fire up Mach 4.
    Nothing else has changed. Same gcode I have been running for months.
    I checked belts and have not found anything noticeably loose.
    Grease bearings routinely.

I have not been able to duplicate the random problem, but it has now ruined some work in progress.

Ideas are appreciated in where to focus my efforts. I am unclear as to whether the problem is mechanical, electrical, or software-related. I am leaning towards the source of the problem being either electrical or software as it appears that the symptom is a mechanical hiccup. That being said, not sure where to focus my efforts.

Stan

Re: Random Glitches in Gantry Travel on Avid Pro 48 x 48

I read a recent post from late last year on "Z" axis inconsistencies and their problem sounds similar. Are there checks that can be made to test the ESS, ethernet smooth stepper, to see if it is functioning correctly?

Re: Random Glitches in Gantry Travel on Avid Pro 48 x 48

If the movement of the gantry (tilt) or table (vertical/horizontal movement of the upper section of the table) occurs differently than indicated (for example, the gantry or table does not stop in the specified position), immediately press the emergency stop button. Do not open the gantry by removing the screws, and do not attempt to disassemble or modify the gantry. This may cause a fire, electric shock, or malfunction of the system. There is also a risk of eye damage when exposed to a laser beam. Contact a service representative regarding inspection, adjustment, or repair parts inside the gantry. I usually look for their contacts in the same place where I look at the train schedule, on the website https://www.dbauskunft.com/de/