585,930 active members*
3,934 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC "do-it-yourself" > Critique my CNC Column Mini Mill
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Critique my CNC Column Mini Mill

@joeavaerage. Would you mind sharing some photos of your build? I was curious Or do you have a build log?

I see your ballscrews are currently clipping into the model. One thing I regret not doing on my build is using larger than necessary profile rails that match the height of the ballscrew. It's much easier than shimming, and probably not too much more expensive.

Hi Buoyen,
    see attached.

Most of the machine structure is obscured but you can see pretty plainly two of the three axis beds. They are all identical in size, 700mm x 240mm x 130mm. The X axis has slots milled into it,
    but otherwise they are identical. You can also see just the top of the frame, the two 32mm thick 'L's' separated by 20mm rectangular plates.

I would ideally, and will eventually get around to doing it, weld 6mm, maybe 8mm, plates top and bottom so that the frame becomes a rectangular tube. Time and budget precluded
    me from doing so at the time. I use this machine for work and I just could not afford to delay its introduction to service for a month or so while I did the welding and despatched it to
    Auckland for heat treating.

The majority of my work is PCB's and small parts in aluminum, brass and plastics for instruments and that is why my 750W 24000rpm spindle is fitted.
    Clearly such a large machine is overkill for this application however the rigidity and accuracy of it is still appreciated in small parts as iit is in large. When I want to
    mill steel or stainless I swap the 750W 24000rpm spindle for a 1.8kW 3500rpm one which is much better suited to steel having much MUCH higher torque.

Craig

That looks massive. Thank you.

Page 2 of 2 12