585,712 active members*
4,339 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Need some advice about wiring the Gecko G540 REV8 and Proximity Switch Sensor NPN NO.

Need some advice about wiring the Gecko G540 REV8 and Proximity Switch Sensor NPN NO.

Need some advice about wiring the Gecko G540 REV8 and Proximity Switch Sensor NPN NO.

The thing is I'm a little confused on the wiring, some people say to hook it up to the ground, but I thought it's supposed to hook up to the V- (Blue). To me V- (Blue) is not ground, but the negative side of the Electrical wiring.

Also do you need the resistor on the V+ (Brown) lead for each sensors wiring ??? Or can I put it as I indicated on my diagram ?? Or do I need any at all ??

If anyone could give me any advice on my diagram it would be greatly appreciated.

Enclosed is a PDF of my layout.

Re: Need some advice about wiring the Gecko G540 REV8 and Proximity Switch Sensor NPN

The colour code for wiring the Prox is Brown +ve, Blue is -ve and Black = load.
    NPN versions will sink the output (BLK) to -ve or common at switch on/activate time.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Re: Need some advice about wiring the Gecko G540 REV8 and Proximity Switch Sensor NPN

OK, but do you need the resistor on the +ve (Brown) lead for each sensors to drop the Voltage ??? Or can I put it as I indicated on my diagram ?? Or do I need any at all ??
    Then my diagram is a is okay - -min the switchs location Or whether I need one.

Quote Originally Posted by mac_tell View Post
    OK, but do you need the resistor on the +ve (Brown) lead for each sensors to drop the Voltage ??? Or can I put it as I indicated on my diagram ?? Or do I need any at all ??
    Most proximity sensors are rated for 10 to 30 volts DC for power. If your motor power supply for the G540 on pin 11 is in this range, then you can connect the sensors without any resistor or other device in the power leads.

If your motor power supply is greater than 30 volts, then you should provide a separate power source for the sensors, suggested voltage of 24 VDC, and let it share the negative side of the power supply with the G540 and sensors, but supply 24 volts to the brown leads of the sensors.

Steve Stallings
    PMDX.COM - Products for CNC and motion control applications

Quote Originally Posted by mac_tell View Post
    Often simple LS are used without resistors as typically the Gecko inputs are provided with the series resistors to the Opto isolator internally.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

To clarify, there is no need for a resistor in the Black lead from the sensor to the Inputs on Pins 1,2,3, and 4 of the G540.

The NPN sensor output on the Black lead will conduct to the Blue (negative supply) lead when the sensor is triggered. The sensor will not output any voltage itself, so there is no dependency on the voltage of the supply on the Brown lead of the sensor.

The G540 inputs have internal pull-up resistors in series with the opto-coupler inputs that are internally powered from +12 VDC. Providing a conducting path from the G540 input pin to the G540 negative power terminal will cause the G540 to report the signal as active.

They are designed to work with mechanical switches or with NPN style sensors.

Steve Stallings
    PMDX.COM - Products for CNC and motion control applications

I understand a little bit better.

Thank you both for the information