585,760 active members*
3,793 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > International / Regional Forums > Australia, New Zealand Club House > Has anyone got a UCSB that can help with adding 2 x steppers

Has anyone got a UCSB that can help with adding 2 x steppers

Hey G'day,

Save my soul, I have an axbb-e which I'm having issues with atm attached to it is a UCSB. The UCSB should be able to run as I understand it several stepper motors.

I can get one running on port 1 and 2... can not get a second going on ports 3/4/5/6/7 etc. I just cannot get 2 drivers and steppers going.

Is there a trick to it? I have trolled the web trying to find a wiring diagram, so far not so lucky.

I have come across a few diagrams but most seem to deal with other peripherals torch on relays etc using the UCSB.

Please lead this thirsty dying old man to a cup of water

My head is about to explode.

Regards.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by curiosity22 View Post
    Hey G'day,

Save my soul, I have an axbb-e which I'm having issues with atm attached to it is a UCSB. The UCSB should be able to run as I understand it several stepper motors.

I can get one running on port 1 and 2... can not get a second going on ports 3/4/5/6/7 etc. I just cannot get 2 drivers and steppers going.

Is there a trick to it? I have trolled the web trying to find a wiring diagram, so far not so lucky.

I have come across a few diagrams but most seem to deal with other peripherals torch on relays etc using the UCSB.

Please lead this thirsty dying old man to a cup of water

My head is about to explode.

Regards.
    Steve
    How are you trying to set it up?.
    The AXBB-E is designed to run 4 stepper drivers directly on it's non-isolated outputs.
    The isolated outputs are then designed for all your switches etc (not stepper drivers, the isolators are a bit slow for high pulses).
    Then, if you want more switches or more drivers for more than 4 axis, the UCSB then goes into port 3 via idc26 cable.

If you only need 4 stepper drivers you shouldn't need the UCSB.

That's how I understand it.

I have the UC300eth and UCBB which is more or less the same base the AXBB-E is built of.

Re: Has anyone got a UCSB that can help with adding 2 x steppers

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    How are you trying to set it up?.
    The AXBB-E is designed to run 4 stepper drivers directly on it's non-isolated outputs.
    The isolated outputs are then designed for all your switches etc (not stepper drivers, the isolators are a bit slow for high pulses).
    Then, if you want more switches or more drivers for more than 4 axis, the UCSB then goes into port 3 via idc26 cable.

If you only need 4 stepper drivers you shouldn't need the UCSB.

That's how I understand it.

I have the UC300eth and UCBB which is more or less the same base the AXBB-E is built of.
    Hey G'day,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

As a by the by with your setup how many axis can you run?

Ok to answer your question,
    5Volts to PUL+ and DIR+ and UCSB output to PUL- and DIR -. I believe that's all there should be to it. My axbbe is not functioning I cant get motion on any of the ports I can now only assume I have somehow shorted it when I was switching over to the new stepper drivers.
    For whatever reason the UCSB is still operating sorta?!?!
    I should be able to run 4 steppers with the UCSB but I can't get a second to go for the life of me,. Its pretty simple simon stuff but something is eluding me and I cant quite put my finger on it.
    port 1 and 2 I can test every stepper all working.. ports 3/4/5/6 etc nadda... I can't believe that its not working or shorted as well but with 2 ports working. lol... or maybe it has.

Was hoping someone might say " have you tried " and the light bulb moment might happen.

It would be great if I can get 4 steppers running from the UCSB the rotary I can live without for the moment until I buy a replacement.
    I am debating to not buy another axbbe but perhaps to buy something like yours the uc300 with another beakout board or even the UC400. I'm not favouring the all in one motion controller/breakout board like the axbbe anymore...
    I cant trouble shoot it, there seems to be no diag available for it,