585,599 active members*
3,560 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > CamBam > incorrect tool path on table display
Page 1 of 2 12

incorrect tool path on table display

Help!! have used cam bam to make g code to surface my table but when loaded the tool path is not on the table. what have I done wrong.
    I am a beginner and know very little about what to do.

Re: incorrect tool path on table display

Does the machine 0,0,0 match the G-code 0,0,0?
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

not sure but i'll check that now. would this be the start point of the milling process? at present the tool path is only on the lower left hand quarter of the table display

Quote Originally Posted by moswede View Post
    not sure but i'll check that now. would this be the start point of the milling process? at present the tool path is only on the lower left hand quarter of the table display
    In that case all of the moves should be in the -X and -Y quadrant, with 0,0 at the upper right of the machine table.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Correction now the display is 50% to the upper right of the x,y junction and 50% to the left 4th line of code is G20 G90 G40

That sounds like the G-code 0,0 is in the center of the tool path. I'm not sure what the problem is, but it still seems like your CamBam setup is not correct. Let's take a look at your CamBam setup.

Attach your .CB file with a .TXT extension. (The forum attachment filter won't accept a .CB file)
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Jim, you are correct. i retried with the router in the center of the table and the tool path was now on the table. I do have another error and that is the surfacing area dimensions are a little to large so I need to figure out how to edit the program and make the surfacing area 1 inch smaller on all sides. my table dimension is 39 inches on the x and 17.5 inches on the y. I want to surface and area 36" on the x and 15 on the y.
    I would gladly send you the file if I knew how! Sorry I'm not very versed in this I'm 70, retired, built the unit from plans in woodsmith magazine and am trying to learn how to use it correctly.
    I appreciate all your time and help!!

You will learn it. I'm 73 and retired, 10 years ago I couldn't even spell CNC. My pleasure to help out where I can.

First decide where X0, Y0 is going to be on your machine, normally in one of the corners. I used the top right corner on my machine, as looking down on the table.

I assume you are using CamBam. I would start over and draw a 36 x 17.5 rectangle on the screen. Since you are basically going to be drawing the table, put the 0,0 corner of the rectangle in the quadrant that you are going to work in.

Here is a screenshot of what I did. I randomly chose a 3/4'' cutter, 0.01 depth of cut and 40% ( 0.4) step over

And the setup window

This may get you started in the right direction. Us old guys got to stick together.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Jim couldn't get the file with the txt extension to upload so i did a winziplet me know if you scan't open and I'll try again

thanks!!
    What old guys??

I refuse to get old.

I was able to open your file just fine. I see what your problem was. It's been awhile since I worked with CamBam, I had to try to remember how it all worked. I have been using Fusion 360 for a couple of years now. A bit more of a learning curve, but a lot more versatile.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Jim,
    Still having problems. Please review the attached file when you have time and tell me what I've done wrong. When I load the file in the mach 3 program I zero the machine at the lower left corner, the cut diagram is within the dotted lines of my table dimensions. I regen the tool path and start. The gantry goes about half the width of the table in the Y then goes in the Z. Even though the cut diagram is within the table dimensions, before it gets to the end of the cut diagram it hits the safety switch.

The G-code looks fine.

''The gantry goes about half the width of the table in the Y then goes in the Z.''

Based on that statement, my best guess is that your machine has not been calibrated in Mach3. You need to set the ''Steps Per''

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Motor Tuning.jpg  
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Jim, sorry it's taken so long to get back to you! You were correct about the motors. I went back and reread the mach 3 manual on this subject and went through the procedure again. Since i have a direct drive unit I wasn't confident that my numbers looked correct so I did the auto calibration. this brought the gantry to follow the table size and travel correctly in all the axis, and the tool path on the screen is correct. I was able to redo the table surfacing program in Cam Bam with the correct parameters and everything seemed to work correctly and properly surfaced the spoil board. My router is only 1.25HP so I didn't go very fast (took about 3.5 hours to take it down 1/16") and used a 1.5" surfacing bit. I did notice that the X axis would stall at times for no more than a second but other than that seemed to run correctly. Any thought on what might cause this?
    I'm using 3/4" MDF as a spoil board what do you recommend?
    Again thanks for steering me in the correct direction, I was really at an impasse but things look better now!

The motor stall could be many things. Try running the same program with no tool bit and see if it stalls in the same place. Could be a mechanical issue, acceleration/feed speed setting, loose wire, or a computer glitch.

Even at 1.25 HP I would expect the router to handle a 1/16'' depth of cut just fine, even with a 1.5'' bit. Maybe try a 1'' bit. 3.5 hours seems like a long time for a table that small.

3/4 MDF is fine.

My pleasure to help where I can.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I ran the program with no bit the first time I ran it (didn't want any surprises) and it stalled then as well, random areas. I think the speed was slow because I slowed the cut feed rate down to 20 and a crossover distance of .7 (again didn't want any surprises) so I think that was the issue with the length of time to flatten the table. the router did not sound as if it were under any undo load. I will check the other issues but is a stall damaging to the motor? After running three hrs the X motor temp was only 89 degrees, so I let it run and other than that seemed to do just fine.

If that is 89F then no problem at all. Even 89C is acceptable.

Stalling a stepper motor is not damaging at all, won't hurt a thing.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

89F Thanks Jim!

Jim,
    I have encountered another problem! I have been learning how to use Cam bam and have drawn, and cut out several projects. I have suddenly started seeing a pink circle on the drawing table when I load a g code file ( no I haven't been under the influence of drugs or alcohol)!. At first the circle was not solid but now it is. I can see the project in the circle but when i run the g code the machine just starts making a big circle and ignores the gcode. I have used cam bam on my desktop for the majority of my work but I have the program on my laptop as well, do I tried drawing and saving the project on it and had the same results.
    Any idea what is causing this problem?

Eric Thompson

Jim., I forgot to mention that I'm using Mach 3 2.0

Page 1 of 2 12